Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retrieve music from ipod without syncing it

So my computer was messed up and I'm missing a bunch of music so i was needing to get the music files back. I have them on my ipod but i cant view them in itunes unless i sync the ipod which would erase the songs not on the computer and defeat the purpose of what i'm trying to do. I have the 'manually manage music' option checked and when i open up my ipod file from my computer it doesn't have the music files only pictures and stuff. I know it's possible to get the music without erasing it but i forget how and its really annoying, so how would i do so?

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 11:05 PM

Assuming you're using a Windows 7 or 8 computer here.
Go to the start menu > type in hidd > open 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' > check the circle in that says Show hidden files, folders, and drives. > Click apply.

Now plug your iPod in. Go to Computer > click on eg. 'Azrielrain's ipo (H:)' or whatever shows up that looks like that > iPod_Control > Music > The files underneath that.

Now in those files will be mp3 or mp3 variants of your music, they will NOT however have the original names given to them. You can copy the files to your desktop, or music folder. That is pretty much the closest you'll get to being able to salvage your music from your iPod.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2014 11:05 PM in response to Azrielrain

Go to the start menu > type in hidd > open 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' > check the circle in that says Show hidden files, folders, and drives. > Click apply.

Now plug your iPod in. Go to Computer > click on eg. 'Azrielrain's ipo (H:)' or whatever shows up that looks like that > iPod_Control > Music > The files underneath that.

Now in those files will be mp3 or mp3 variants of your music, they will NOT however have the original names given to them. You can copy the files to your desktop, or music folder. That is pretty much the closest you'll get to being able to salvage your music from your iPod.

Nov 6, 2014 6:47 PM in response to Azrielrain

Here is the way about how to recover music from iPod

Now in those files will be mp3 or mp3 variants of your music, they will NOT however have the original names given to them. You can copy the files to your desktop, or music folder. That is pretty much the closest you'll get to being able to salvage your music from your iPod. Or you can use Data Recovery to help you recover your iPod music.

How to retrieve music from ipod without syncing it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.