Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD 11 'img' File Compatible with Roxio Toast Version 11?

Hello

Using iMovie 11, (editing an HD project), would like to burn an image file from iDVD 11. Then using an external Blu Ray Burner, open that img file in Roxio Toast version 11. Do you guys know if this is possible? Will Roxio Toast 11 work?

And will that DVD project appear/play as 'HD' in typical DVD players?

Have tested connecting a cannon HD camera directly to a small HD TV. The test shows that the native playback looks much better than a 'burned' DVD.

Any comments?

Thank you

Mike

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 3:17 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2014 2:08 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

Hi

Just some thoughts

DVD is as standard (What ever program used to create it) only SD-Video Quality (as on old CRT-TVs))

So if You created an image file from iDVD or alike - that's what You got and will not be any better.

HD-DVD was a rare format that only playbacked on some few Toshiba HD-DVD-players and You needed DVD Studio Pro to create it.

Roxio Toast™ Can not make any miracles. I would use Disk Util tool to burn the image file to DVD.

To make a Blu-Ray disk I would

- Re-export from Video Editing program in HD-Quality

- Use Roxio Toast™ (incl BD-component)

- to burn - if short (<30 minutes) to DVD or to BD-disks (and by using a BD-Burner)

But really I would skipp the Disk step totally if I want HD. I would

- Save out as HD (.mpg4/H.264)

- onto an USB-Memory stick

- and use this in my TV or on any Mac/PC with VLC-Player

Yours Bengt W

Jun 26, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hello Bengt

Thanx for the reply.

Some folks on the FC forum have been saying that iMovie export quality my not produce suitable results for 'HD'.

First Point:

"Save out as HD (.mpg4/H.264)" < Yes I'm familiar with these settings using FC6, but using iMovie 11, and (creating chapters), we can't seem to find an option to export those settings to iDVD.

2nd point:

Our understanding is that in order to make a Blu Ray disc, we can't use iDVD, we need to use a 3rd party party software like Roxio Toast. Yes, I use Disk Utility, but can it burn a Blu Ray disc? (I don't think so). Yes, we're trying to export an 'image file' from iDVD that can be used in other programs. But the dilemma is how to get decent HD quality using only iMovie, iDVD, and Roxio 11 with a Blu Ray burner.

Thanx

Jun 26, 2014 9:28 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

Further clarificaion; this is the version, (below), of Roxio we have on hand. Again, (its a bit of a short cut), without FC7 and an Intell machine. Is it possible to get decent HD quality utililizing iMovie 11, iDVD 11, an external Blu Ray burner, and Roxio?

We thought it would be possible to burn an 'img file' with iDVD, then bring it into Roxio, then burn Blu Ray. You can read the descripton below.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/plugin/overview.html

Thanks again

Mike

Jun 26, 2014 11:36 AM in response to ENIGMACODE

Is it possible to get decent HD quality utililizing iMovie 11, iDVD 11, an external Blu Ray burner, and Roxio?

NO

iMovie'08 (vers 7.0.x) to iMovie'11 (vers 9.0.x) - Can not deliver even SD-Video Quality as they when going from Event's to Project discard every second line in the picture. This can not be mended later - What's lost is Lost !

iMovie 1 to HD6 can deliver 100% SD-Video Quality over to iDVD or Toast or DVD Studio Pro or or or.

I prefere to use - FinalCut 6 (as I've not got FC 7)

Then export 100% then Export as .mpeg4/H.264 to an USB-Memory stick.

Resulting view on HD-projector or HD-Flat-screen TV - give me a most satisfying result - NOT HD - but still very OK for me.

Yours Bengt W

iDVD 11 'img' File Compatible with Roxio Toast Version 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.