Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay from MacBook Pro to an iPad?

Can AirPlay be used to mirror a MacBook Pro (OS X10.9.3) to an iPad running iOS 7.1?

The support material from Apple (and most of the community discussions) concern getting Airplay from a Mac computer or iOS device to run to an Apple TV.

But there are some support/discussion elements that also suggest it would be possible to do mirroring from a computer to an iOS device.

FYI - I don't have an Apple TV. And the Airplay icon does not appear in the Control Panel of my iPad. My MacBook Pro Display Settings shows the capacity for AirPlay display, but does not detect any devices. I've not installed any third party "air" mirroring applications.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 4:23 PM

1 reply

Jun 27, 2014 6:38 AM in response to 25th Floor

Hello 25th Floor,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you're wanting to AirPlay from a Mac to an iOS device. AirPlay mirroring from your Mac is designed to only function with an Apple TV. Please see the following article for what is required to use AirPlay Mirroring in OS X.

Requirements for AirPlay in OS X

An Apple TV

A supported MacAirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring when using OS X Mountain Lion or later:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)

Which Mac do I have?

A network

AirPlay Mirroring requires either a Wi-Fi (802.11 a/g/n) connection or an Ethernet connection to the same local network that your Apple TV uses.

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

Take care,

Alex H.

AirPlay from MacBook Pro to an iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.