You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't copy song, it cannot be played on iPhone.

Out of 50+ songs in my library, only one has this issue. Its format is no different from the others; I have tried deleting and re-installing the song. I have also tried unchecking the "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC" option in my iPhone settings, but the box was unchecked to begin with. I have also tried to create a compatible version ("File > Create new version > iPod or iPhone version"). It won't even give me the option of doing so. Is it just the song? Should I give up on it?

Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 6:01 AM

I know you've solved the issue by re-ripping, but I have found an alternate workaround to the dreaded "cannot be played on this iPod" error. I'm posting it because 1) I have encountered the error numerous times and it takes me awhile to remember the fix and 2) I searched the discussion boards and did not find anyone posting this particular method.

I've encountered numerous files (most of which I ripped from CDs YEARS ago) that will play in iTunes but not copy to an iPod, with the "cannot be played" error. Attempting to convert them to MP3 within iTunes results in an "error -50" which is of zero help. What I discovered is that when I look at the files in the Finder, they are invariably listed as "MPEG" not "MP3". Correcting them is simple, but it can be a tedious one-at-a-time process if you have a lot of them. The process is as follows:

1. Highlight the song in iTunes.

2. Right-click (ctrl-click) on the song and select "Show in Finder".

3. Assuming the file kind is "MPEG" or something other than "MP3", edit the filename and add ".mp3" to the end of it.

4. Go back into iTunes and PLAY THE SONG. This is important, if you don't play the song, iTunes apparently doesn't recognize the change. You don't need to play the entire song, just a few seconds will do.

5. Sync your iPod. The songs should now copy properly.

Hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2014 6:01 AM in response to bre02744

I know you've solved the issue by re-ripping, but I have found an alternate workaround to the dreaded "cannot be played on this iPod" error. I'm posting it because 1) I have encountered the error numerous times and it takes me awhile to remember the fix and 2) I searched the discussion boards and did not find anyone posting this particular method.

I've encountered numerous files (most of which I ripped from CDs YEARS ago) that will play in iTunes but not copy to an iPod, with the "cannot be played" error. Attempting to convert them to MP3 within iTunes results in an "error -50" which is of zero help. What I discovered is that when I look at the files in the Finder, they are invariably listed as "MPEG" not "MP3". Correcting them is simple, but it can be a tedious one-at-a-time process if you have a lot of them. The process is as follows:

1. Highlight the song in iTunes.

2. Right-click (ctrl-click) on the song and select "Show in Finder".

3. Assuming the file kind is "MPEG" or something other than "MP3", edit the filename and add ".mp3" to the end of it.

4. Go back into iTunes and PLAY THE SONG. This is important, if you don't play the song, iTunes apparently doesn't recognize the change. You don't need to play the entire song, just a few seconds will do.

5. Sync your iPod. The songs should now copy properly.

Hope this helps!

iTunes won't copy song, it cannot be played on iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.