Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud not syncing notes

Hello..

I've already seen few questions regarding syncing notes to iCloud from the iPhone and iPad, but there still seems to be unanswered questions regarding this'

issue.

I have an iPhone 4s and iPad 3rd gen. I've looked in my general and iCloud settings and everything is checked to have Notes sync to iCloud.

I did read about Notes having to go through one of your email accounts from either your iPhone or iPad (both?) to have Notes sync, but nothing is

syncing over.

I'm at a loss in what other ways to trouble shoot this.

If someone out there has solved the "mystery" behind syncing Notes would they be kind enough to walk through the process step by step so others who may

be having issues will benefit from solving this issue.

much appreciate the support! 🙂

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 7:40 PM

First, go to Settings > iCloud on both devices. make sure the same email (Apple ID) shows up on both devices and make sure notes is turned on. Then go to Settings > Notes and make sure they both have iCloud selected for the default account (seems like you may have done this already). Then go to the notes app on both devices. If you have an "Accounts" button in the top left, make sure you tap it an choose All Notes. Make a new note on one device and see if it appears on the other and vice versa. If the new notes do not sync, go to iCloud.com, sign-in with the same Apple ID and select notes and see if either device's note made it to iCloud.com. You can also make a new note on iCloud.com and see if it appears on either device. Reply with the results.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2014 7:40 PM in response to Atcandela

First, go to Settings > iCloud on both devices. make sure the same email (Apple ID) shows up on both devices and make sure notes is turned on. Then go to Settings > Notes and make sure they both have iCloud selected for the default account (seems like you may have done this already). Then go to the notes app on both devices. If you have an "Accounts" button in the top left, make sure you tap it an choose All Notes. Make a new note on one device and see if it appears on the other and vice versa. If the new notes do not sync, go to iCloud.com, sign-in with the same Apple ID and select notes and see if either device's note made it to iCloud.com. You can also make a new note on iCloud.com and see if it appears on either device. Reply with the results.

Jun 25, 2014 8:58 PM in response to Jay-Ray

Hello Jay-Ray,

I've tested a few Notes from the iPad and iPhone and have them set for iCloud accounts. When I create a new note on either device it does sync.

But the issue is syncing Notes that are already on these devices. They are not syncing over.

So what I've done is copy and paste all my current Notes as "new Notes" and they are syncing over.

Is there a way to sync the Notes that were previously on there without doing a copy and paste onto a new Note?

The reason I ask is that I have Notes date stamped and like to keep track if when these notes were originally created.

What do you or anyone else think?

Jun 25, 2014 9:02 PM in response to Atcandela

There is no way to sync them without copy/paste as they are stored on whatever other account you have listed there. In the notes app, when you hit accounts you can look at each account and see what is on each account instead of looking at all notes. Copy/Paste is the only option currently, but at least you have it set up to never have this issue again moving forward.

My recommendation on that dat/time thing is to put the date/time in the first line of the note. If you accidentally add a space or anything to a note at anytime from any device, that auto generated date/time will change and there is no way to revert it.

Jun 25, 2014 9:14 PM in response to Jay-Ray

Thank you, Jay-Ray!

I just amended one of the notes and saw the updated time/day of change.

I'll keep in mind any change that I make to any Note will effect this and as you suggested to add the "original date" to the Note if I need to keep track of dates.

You solved my question. And greatly appreciate your help. 🙂

Sep 1, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Jay-Ray

Hi,

Jay-Ray, sounds like you give good advice!

I was checking this post, since am having the same problem. When I create a new note in my iphone it does not go to icloud. But when I create a new note from my icloud it does not go to my iphone. Any thoughts? I've followed your instructions above. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2014 9:53 AM in response to laragazzasf

sorry for grammer, just writing this quickly.

I just wanted to write a response, just in case anyone else is reading this. Nobody at the Apple store really knew the answer I had to figure it out for myself.

My old iphone had a lot of software issues, it was then transferred to new iphone. I had to restore new iphone in order to get rid of the bugs. Also some of my notes, of course the most important ones, were not transferred to the new phone at set up. I was told to email the notes from old iphone. Well, the old iphone was not restored yet and still had problems so the emails were lost in the ethers, who knows. I didn't know until next day, should have checked email on the spot to see if sent. Anyway, so thinking they were emailed, we restored the old iphone to original settings, with most icloud data transferred, (EXCEPT the important notes, for some unexplainable reason, I've been trying to get on chat for two hours online, something must be wrong with their system, so I still don't know why, I think it's some type of glych.)

I followed some advise below, but to no avail.

I then did what the technician at Apple store advised, to restore the iphone while plugged into pc. I did that, still the important notes weren't transferred.

Now this is so weird and makes no sense,

-after restoring iphone while plugged into PC (I do not know if the restore was even needed to execute the following...so try doing it without first)

-in Settings where it lists icloud, mail, notes, reminders, phone, messages, etc.

-I clicked on Notes

-it had two selections: icloud or gmail, so weird because hotmail is technically my main email. (Again, the "mysteries" of Apple ensue)

-where it said Default account, gmail was checked. hmm, gmail? that's weird I thought

-so I switched it to icloud

-when I went back into my Notes all the notes were magically there.

I have no idea how or why, but finally at ease....

I hope this can help somebody out!

Good luck.

Sep 27, 2015 6:52 PM in response to iscarf

Hi, I've tried all the methods but notes are still not syncing from Mac Pro to iCloud. It's very frustrating and its quite silly that i've to login to iCloud.com to use notes instead of using the inbuilt app on Mac. I've even created a new user account on mac just to test if its my account problem, so it does not work on the new account as well. I think its a bug on Mac Pro / Yosemite itself.

Can anyone please help?

I'm using

1. Apple 6Plus - Notes Syncing to iCloud - No problems
  2. Notes Edit Directly on iCloud - Syncing to iCloud - No problems
  3. Notes on Mac Pro - Syncing to iCloud (Huge Problems) Never got it upsince day 1User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 2, 2016 1:38 PM in response to suheyla888

In Settings, my Notes was set to 'iPad' on my iPad, but my phone was set to iCloud. So I changed that to icloud. I had to airdrop each note, but it copied it to my iCloud in my ipad's Notes. I can see it, but it is not technically 'ON' my iPad. I can just see it through iCloud. Should it not also be on my ipad? If I write a note in the iCloud part of Notes, it will transfer to my ipad. It does not transfer if I write a note in the 'On my phone' section of Notes. Does this make sense? Do I have to just use the iCloud Notes? Can I not sync my iphone notes to my ICloud and iPad notes?

iCloud not syncing notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.