Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X 10.0.9 Import Window doesn't show folders on desktop

Hello,

I have a number of folders on my desktop that contain movie files, jpeg files, you name it. When I try to import from the desktop, the import media window only shows the files and not the folders they are in! I have thousands of files on my desktop! For the life of me I can't figure this out. I have included a screen shot of what my window looks like when I select the desktop to import media. Again, I have a number of folders that don't show up, only the files in them. This is maddening when trying to import files! I know i can move the files to my hard drive but i am used to desktop work flow. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 9:59 PM

10 replies

Jun 26, 2014 1:34 AM in response to jrc362

jrc362 wrote:

... I have included a screen shot of what my window looks like..

not on display here...

please try again...

jrc362 wrote:

.. I have thousands of files on my desktop!...

This is not best-practice. A 'cluttered' desktop for instance slows start-up (dramatically) ... I would consider a more 'organized' system (what's wrong with the preinstalled folders 'pictures', 'music' etc. 😉 ) Plus, in FCPX' Import-dialogue, you can create in th eleft row your own 'favorites', e.g. I have some standard graphics, well hidden in user/pictures/fiolder/sub-folder/sub-sub... dragging that folder in th Import-dialogue to the sidebar - and click! I have access to somewhere on my drive(s). And a clean desk... 😁

I'm assuming, 'cause your files are on 'top level' the finessed data-base of FCPX gets confused.

What happens, when you drag one of your desktop-folders to, say 'pictures'? ...

Sep 1, 2015 10:59 AM in response to jrc362

I just had this problem crop up with iMovie 10.0.5 and FCPX 10.1.4. Here's what is causing the problem. If you have any folders that contain media, such as a folder downloaded from a video camera, both programs change the designation of the Desktop folder from "Folder" to "Media Folder." Then they ignore all the folders on the Desktop and treat it as one big media folder. The fix is to hide your media files in a separate folder. This will cause the name of the Desktop folder to revert to "Folder" and you will see all the folders on your desktop. Not sure why this started happening or when. Good luck!

FCP X 10.0.9 Import Window doesn't show folders on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.