Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail wont take gmail online

Apple mail shows GMail off line. I get the following message when I select "take all accounts on line

"Unable to connect"

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “imap.gmail.com” on port 465 timed out."

When I select take all accounts on line I get this message

"ALERT

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “imap.gmail.com” on port 465 timed out.

I have had a long call with my service provider who checked all settings but to no avail.

Same issue with iPad mini and IPhone

OS10.9.3

Thanks for your help

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 9:09 AM

Back up all data. Delete the account in the Internet Accounts preference pane, then add it back. Test.

10 replies

Nov 30, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

How does one "back up all data" before removing the account? I assume that all of my local folders, filled with important emails, will be deleted if I remove the account? Is there an easy way to back up this data specifically and reinstall it after adding the account back in?

So frustrating now... I have constant iMap issues with gmail.

Dec 1, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Eric Root

Ah, yes. Backing up automatically with Time Machine in general, I can do. And I can - and have - recovered specific files that way. Files that I know the name and/or location. What I'm not aware of, is a way to restore only my local email folders.

I have manually exported every folder - but that takes a significant amount of time as I have hundreds that are nested. The chance of missing some is huge. I'm looking for a way to back up every one of the folders... or to find them in my Time Machine backup somewhere?

Mail wont take gmail online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.