Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Struggling to restore from Time Machine (2007 MacBook; Snow Leopard)

The hard drive failed on my 2007 MacBook. I had it replaced and the shop also installed Snow Leopard (this was what I was using prior to the fail).

I tried a restore from Time Machine and while a huge chunk of my new hard drive disappeared, I couldn't locate the files. I have since found them in the hidden /Volumes folder.

I have also learned that to do a full restore, I should have used my Snow Leopard install disk alongside the drive with Time Machine backups.

So...

1. Should I delete the restored file in the /Volumes folder and start again using the Snow Leopard install disk?

2. I want to upgrade to Lion (this is the furthest I can go with this MacBook). Can I do step 1 using a Lion install disk even though the Time Machine backup was created in Snow Leopard? (Confession: I'm not sure where my Snow Leopard disk is and I'm trying to avoid going through cupboards and boxes to find it)

3. is it laborious and risky to try to restore everything manually from the /Volumes folder? Where do I start if I decide on this route?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 8:34 AM

I would try recovering the files manually first. If the result is unsatisfactory, then I'd boot up using the Snow Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility/Repair disk, erase and reformat the drive, and then install Snow Leopard. Reboot normally, and use Setup Assistant to restore from Time Machine. Completely update to 10.6.8 and then consider if you want to upgrade to Lion. There are no Lion disks - it is a download.

10.6.8 Combo Updater

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2014 8:34 AM in response to HighC60

I would try recovering the files manually first. If the result is unsatisfactory, then I'd boot up using the Snow Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility/Repair disk, erase and reformat the drive, and then install Snow Leopard. Reboot normally, and use Setup Assistant to restore from Time Machine. Completely update to 10.6.8 and then consider if you want to upgrade to Lion. There are no Lion disks - it is a download.

10.6.8 Combo Updater

Struggling to restore from Time Machine (2007 MacBook; Snow Leopard)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.