Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On startup, Mail doesn't show all my email.

Hi,

I am using Apple Mail on my Mid 2010 iMac (27", 3.6 GHz i5, 12 Gig RAM, 10.8.5) and have recently run into a bit of strangeness. I shut down the iMac every evening, without shutting down Mail. Mail opens on startup, as expected. However, my list of emails is not current, with the latest email from about 1AM that morning. I know this is the case because I see many more recent emails on my iPhone. When I quit Mail and restart it, all the emails show up. Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening, and how I can get Mail back to its old behavior, namely showing me all emails in my inbox on startup?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 5:42 AM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2014 6:44 AM in response to dianeoforegon

I've tried the suggestion of shutting down Mail before I shut down the computer, and it isn't helping. When I first started up Mail, it didn't see any new emails. I quit Mail and shut it down again, and it showed 16 new emails. the problem is that my MBP (Early 2011, 15", 2.0 GHz i7, 10.9.4) shows I have 27 emails now. Mall on my iMac doesn't show any emails between 5:07 AM and 9:28 AM (EDT), while my MBP shows emails at 5:30, 6:29, 6:43, etc. Both computers are connected to the same router (Comcast cable modem/router combination), as is my iPhone and iPad, so I don't think it is a router issue. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on and, more importantly, how to fix it?

Thank you.

Jul 8, 2014 1:56 PM in response to David Fritzinger

What type of account(s)? (POP, IMAP, Exchange)

1) Repair & Refresh OS X files

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

Run Repair Drive and Repair Permissions using Disk Utility in Recovery.

Restart

Run the combo updater over your install to refresh your files.

OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) 831.81 MB

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

2) Reindex Mail

With Mail quit....

Go to your User's Library folder.

**Show Library Folder:

Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Go to Containers in the User's Library folder.

drag the com.apple.mail folder to the Desktop

Go to Mail in the User'f Library folder.

Select the V2 > MailData folder.

Delete any files in MailData with envelope in the name. (should be 3)

Go to Preferences in the User's Library folder.

If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar

Open Mail.

Mail will re-index your files.

Let me know if this helps.

On startup, Mail doesn't show all my email.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.