Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blessing Cloned OS 9 System Folder

I have a strange problem. I cloned over my OS 9 drive to a larger hard drive. My original OS 9 drive will boot OS 9, but the clone drive will not. In my OSX System Preferences, Startup Disk sees it as a bootable OS, and the Classic Pane sees it as bootable for Classic Mode (I tested it, it works). But if I tell Startup Disk to start on the cloned OS 9, it won't do it. Instead, it will try booting, fail, then reboot using the original OS 9 volume. If I reboot while holding the Option Key, the cloned OS 9 volume does not appear.

I seem to remember using a repair utility piece of software once (when I'd cloned over the OS 9 from a previous drive) which came up with a message that it was blessing my OS 9 system folder, but I can't remember which software that was, it was so long ago.

I have gone into Terminal and typed:

bless -folder9 "/Volumes/HD Volume/System Folder"

where "HD Volume" is my cloned volume name. No luck booting the cloned OS 9.

I have gone into the cloned OS 9 system folder and removed the Finder and System Files, closed the System Folder window, put those two files back into the System Folder. (It was something that several people seem to do when I googled "bless OS 9".) Still no luck.

I have tried simply copying the Finder and System files from the original to the clone on the desktop level. No luck.

Why is the OSX System Preferences able to see it as a bootable drive plus able to launch it in Classic Mode, but I can't boot from it? How can I make this cloned OS 9 boot?

BTW, the OS 9 version is 9.2.2, and I've not had any problems booting from the original OS 9 HD (nor any problems using that original OS HD for Classic Mode).

G4 Mirror Door DP867 MHz, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 1.7GB RAM

Posted on Sep 14, 2006 11:39 AM

19 replies

Sep 14, 2006 5:55 PM in response to MyKidsDad

This article is not directly related to your situation, but I was think your problem had something to do with the jumper settings on your Power Mac's hard drives (master/slave/cable select).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106960

[there's a paragraph that says additional drives should be set to "cable select"]

How are the setting in your Power Mac?

Sep 14, 2006 6:44 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

All drives are set to Cable Select, including the one from which I cloned. Also, I've cloned the System Folder first with SuperDuper (first time using it); then when I realized I had this problem, I tried Carbon Copy Cloner (which I've used successfully several times cloning bootable OSX drives) thinking maybe something had gone wrong with the first clone.

From what I understand, the fact that the cloned OS 9 volume is showing up successfully in the System Preferences and can launch Classic Mode with no problems means that the System file is actually blessed. I just can't figure out what's stopping it from being bootable.

Sep 15, 2006 5:07 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Yes, I had no problems booting OS 9 from the original OS 9 drive on the IDE bus, and the cloned OS 9 drive was also on the same bus, so I'm not sure why the bus would be a problem. Stranger things have happened with computers, though!

I think you are asking me to switch the physical location of the OS 9 cloned drive with my OS X boot drive, yes? ... so that the OS 9 cloned drive will be on a different bus (or, at least, on the same bus as the working OS X boot drive)?

I will try it. I hope I can do that this morning. If not, it will be probably mid-evening, so if you don't hear back from me, that's why. I appreciate your sticking with it here!

Sep 15, 2006 7:27 AM in response to MyKidsDad

Ok, to give you the results of that test, I have a few more bits of info as background to give you now.

I have 4 hard drives in this machine. Believe it or not, I have several operating systems (versions) on these drives. (The reasons for that are outdated, but I haven't gotten around to deleting the unneeded OS's.) Only one OS per partition, though. (Having these multiple OS's available has never caused a conflict, as I would expect them not to conflict.)

So, I switched the drive docks rather than unscrewing/re-screwing HD's. I get the same results as before, only when the cloned OS 9 drive failed to boot, the G4 re-booted into Panther. I have to assume that's because that drive must be in the same physical location as my Tiger drive was before the switch, and the computer looked to that location as the last known boot setting on that bus.

Is it looking like I have to take the time to re-install OS 9 from a proper CD?

Sep 15, 2006 10:59 AM in response to MyKidsDad

Normally, a working Mac OS 9 System Folder is not very strict about how it is copied. You did a clone of the whole drive, but you should be able to copy it in Finder from one disk to another. I've done that many times.

Before you try the reinstall, you could try one more thing:

Just delete the System Folder (on the drive that does not boot). Then copy (using Mac OS 9 Finder) the System Folder from the drive you are trying to reproduce. Try to start up from the newly copied System Folder.

Sep 16, 2006 2:33 AM in response to MyKidsDad

MKD,

How big is the new bigger drive with OS9 on it ? And is it on the 100MHz bus or the 66MHz bus ? And was it formatted with the option to install OS9 drivers ??

Anything bigger than 120Gb could cause issues.

Anything bigger than 190Gb will be a definite no-no.

=====================
EDIT:

OK, now I've read through the whole post. Two things that I would do, and I had to do when I had similar problems about 2 years ago.

Forget the cable select options, may be good for PCs and OSX, but OS9 will definitely prefer Master and Slave, and don't forget Master goes on the end of the EIDE ribbon, and Slave goes on the middle connector. Cable Select means the drive works it out from it's position on the ribbon. Don't trust it.

Make sure that the disks you wish to boot from are on the Master disk. Booting from a Slave disk had been impossible on PCs for years. I know it's possible with OSX now, but could be the issue with OS9.

Previous points about drive size are still valid.

Sep 16, 2006 3:22 PM in response to Simon Teale

The original OS 9 boot was on a partitioned 200GB; this cloned one is on a partition that's about 230MB (it's a 500GB Maxtor split into two partitions)! Interesting. I never knew there'd be that kind of problem.

Ok, so here's what I want to try then. I'm going to re-partition the new 500GB into 3 sections and put OS9 onto something considerably smaller (less than 120GB as you indicated).

As a side note to this new light, I tried copying the System Folder from my wife's G4--an install that is only 2 months old from a CD. I tested it on her machine and it booted fine. Her System Folder on my cloned OS 9 volume didn't work either (although, interestingly, it showed up as a boot option upon rebooting with Option Key pressed). The result of trying to boot it from Startup Disk was a floppy icon with a Question Mark in it. No good.

So, Simon, I'll try the 3 partition idea, see how that goes, then move on to the Master/Slave thoughts you suggested. I like to try these troubleshooting things one at a time so I can have definitive answers on what works and what doesn't. I'll see if I can do this this evening.

Thanks to both of you!! I'll write back when I get this done.

Sep 17, 2006 2:14 AM in response to MyKidsDad

MKD,

It's the 190Gb volume limit for OS9. The 200"Gb" drive (200,000,000,000 bytes) is actually only 187Gb, so it just gets in. I have a Seagate 200Gb drive that just made it in my MDD for use with OS9.

If you want the other drive partitions to be viewable under OS9, they'll also have to be < 190Gb.

We're also lucky that we have the MDD's, the first Macs to support hard drives over 128Gb (over EIDE). Partitioning a bigger drive wouldn't have helped, it was a drive limit.

Still, it's amazing that there are now non-SATA 500Gb internal drives. Is it SCSI or Ultra-ATA ?

Sep 17, 2006 6:46 AM in response to Simon Teale

The 500GB is ultra-ATA. The reason I bought this machine was because it was going to be the last OS 9 bootable machine made. At the time, I had way too many OS 9 programs I still used a lot to trust Classic Mode to work.

I was messing around with iPartition instead of re-cloning/re-partitioning my drive. I created a 10GB partition with it (checking the checkbox that is supposed to make it OS 9-friendly) then dropped my wife's relatively new OS 9.2.2 System folder on it. Still didn't work! So then I tried fresh-installing it onto that new partition (in Classic Mode, of course, since I don't have a working 9.2.2 to boot in), starting with 9.0 then upgrading with on-disc upgraders I have. During my 9.2.1 upgrade, the "Installer Engine unexpectedly quit" before it finished! Ugh!!

Do you happen to know if the 9.2.2 install discs that are sometimes available on Ebay are machine-specific or even bootable? I was considering doing that to have a bootable 9.2.2 readily available just in case.

I still have to try the master/slave relationships you mentioned, but what strikes me odd is that my original OS 9 boot volume (which worked fine) was on the same configuration that it is now with everything being Cable Select (well, that is was before I switched drive docks around--I haven't put them back in their original spots yet. Though it seems unlikely, that could be a variable in this mess).

Beyond that, it seems my only other hope is to use the Software Restore discs that came with the machine. That's a pain because it will only restore to the boot drive, which would mean I'd have to install OS X onto that new partition in order to get OS 9 on it!!! I could just abandon the idea of having OS 9 on a separate partition and put it on my boot drive, but I think that volume is not <190GB (I'm not on that machine right now to re-check it).

I wouldn't even care about OS 9 at this point except there's a version of After Effects with certain plug-ins that I sometimes need, and that version is prone to crashing in Classic Mode.

Going to the beach today, so it may be either tonight or tomorrow that I even have a chance to mess with this again.

Sep 17, 2006 9:10 AM in response to MyKidsDad

Hi, MKD -

Your G4 MDD model requires the model-specific verson of OS 9.2.2 that shipped with it in order to have a bootable OS 9.

All stand-alone OS 9.2.2 full-install CDs are model-specific, and are for models other than an MDD model. Neither the OS 9.2.2 download update nor equivalents on CDs are suitable for your model.

Yes, the installer on the Restore disks that came with your machine will insist upon installing Classic (OS 9.2.2) onto the same volume where OSX resides.

However, OS 9.2.2 is easily copied from one volume to another; a cloning utility is not needed. It is best done while booted to OS 9, if possible. Drag the Classic (OS 9.2.2) System Folder from the source volume to the destination volume, and let Finder copy it to the destination. Do the same with the Applications (Mac OS 9) and the Documents folders that OS 9 uses.

There will be a bit of fix-it needed afterwards - any aliases copied will need to be reset to originals on the new volume (copied aliases retain linkages to the original originals), as needed. This will include the alias to Sherlock in the Apple menu (which can be found in the Apple Menu Items flder in System Folder), perhaps a few folder aliases in the Application Support folder in System Folder, and any that you may have created.

What this means is that if the OS 9.2.2 install that you have been using is okay, you can copy it (and the other related items) to the new volume, rather than using the Restore disks.

Sep 17, 2006 1:56 PM in response to MyKidsDad

MKD,

exact same reason I bought mine.

The MDD's require a special version of OS9.2.2, that came with the Mac, although I have heard users say they managed to boot from the retail OS9.2.1 cd. I don't think they managed to boot from the system it installs though. Wonders never cease, eh?

You have the System Restore cd's ? Most excellent. Again, starting with OSX 10.2 that came with the MDD's, you can do a partial restore. Of just the correct version of OS9.2.2. No reformatting of the disk, no overwriting OSX, no installation of applications, just a bootable OS9.2.2.
But it sounds like you don't have, or want, a version of OSX on the MDD.

If you have any version of OSX installed, on any disk, you can perform the partial restore, putting a full copy of OS9.2.2 on the same disk, and while still booted in OSX, drag a copy of the OS9 System Folder to the correct disk.

Sep 17, 2006 7:21 PM in response to Simon Teale

First of all, much thanks to all of you who helped here!

The biggest key in this puzzle was Simon's note that OS 9 needs a certain volume size in order to work. When thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense because we're talking about a very old operating system which was used during a time when OS's had serious restrictions on how it could be installed, etc.

Sorry if the following is a little long-winded, but I want to make clear what worked for anyone else who finds this thread because they're in a jam like I was.

So, I put my drive docks back where they were. No difference in booting the cloned OS 9. I never did re-work the master/slave relationships because I wanted to see if I could get this to work without touching that since I had a working OS 9 with "Cable Selects" only. (In addition, I found in my G4 manual that came with the machine that Apple recommends leaving these drives in Cable Select, for whatever that's worth.)

Then I used my MDD System Restore CD's. I learned, by the way, that you cannot use those CD's while booted in Tiger--it just doesn't function properly. It's a good thing I still had my Jaguar install (the original install that came with the machine) on another partition because that's what was needed to run the System Restore (though maybe it would've worked in Panther, I don't know).

More background info: I had a non-bootable OS 9 on that Jaguar volume ("Macintosh HD"). Somewhere along the line it just went kaput for some reason. I had the bootable OS 9 on the volume I've been speaking about in this thread (volume called "Lennon"), so I just left the Mac HD OS 9 be.

So, when I first ran System Restore while booted in Jaguar ("Macintosh HD"), the original, Apple-installed OS 9 System Folder was still there. After running System Restore, I still had a non-bootable OS 9 on that drive! So I renamed that System Folder to "Previous System Folder" and ran System Restore again. It created a new System Folder that is bootable!

So, I booted in OS 9 from that volume, then copied (on the Finder level) that new System Folder over to my newly-created 10GB partition (called "Nesmith"). Finally, I have a bootable OS 9 on "Nesmith"!!

For giggles, I tried copying that fresh System Folder onto the cloned OS 9 drive, and sure enough it failed to boot, presumably because that volume's size is 222MB (greater than 190MB, as Simon pointed out).

I should point out that Simon said, "If you want the other drive partitions to be viewable under OS9, they'll also have to be < 190Gb." In my case, I had no problems seeing Volumes that were greater than 190GB while booted in OS 9. Your mileage may vary, however.

Unless anyone needs clarification on something (I tried to be thorough), the problem is solved! Thanks again to each of you for helping me out! This forum is awesome!

Blessing Cloned OS 9 System Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.