Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook 1400cs/166 Upgrade

Hello! I have my Good ol' Powerbook 1400cs/166 with OS 8.6 working!

I have the following questions:

• Is this possible to upgrade it to 9.2.2? In the negative case, which is the latest version I could upgrade?
  • I don´t have the CD player working, Can I make the upgrade from the PCMCIA card with the soft inside? In this case, can you please give me the steps to follow?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Carlos

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 9:58 PM

Per Apple Support article

Mac OS 8 and 9 compatibility with Macintosh computers

the max OS version for your PowerBook 1400cs is OS 9.1.

You can not make the install from your PCMCIA card; there is no way to get a bootable version of the installer onto that card.

Note that whether you start with OS 9.0 or 9.0.4 and update to 9.1, or start with 9.1, the initial install of OS 9 must be made while booted to a retail (white label) OS 9 Install CD. Once that has been installed appropriate download updaters can be applied while booted to the hard drive.

Exception - if you can find another machine identical (not similar; the model must be identical) to yours, you may be able to copy an installed OS 9 (9.0, 9.0.4, or 9.1) from it to your machine; and, with a bit of luck, have it work. This will probably entail finagling the already installed OS 8.6.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Carloselvis

Per Apple Support article

Mac OS 8 and 9 compatibility with Macintosh computers

the max OS version for your PowerBook 1400cs is OS 9.1.

You can not make the install from your PCMCIA card; there is no way to get a bootable version of the installer onto that card.

Note that whether you start with OS 9.0 or 9.0.4 and update to 9.1, or start with 9.1, the initial install of OS 9 must be made while booted to a retail (white label) OS 9 Install CD. Once that has been installed appropriate download updaters can be applied while booted to the hard drive.

Exception - if you can find another machine identical (not similar; the model must be identical) to yours, you may be able to copy an installed OS 9 (9.0, 9.0.4, or 9.1) from it to your machine; and, with a bit of luck, have it work. This will probably entail finagling the already installed OS 8.6.

Powerbook 1400cs/166 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.