Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help changing the previous owners id and password

I bought a use macbook Lion os-x 10.7.5 software. My apple id and password don't work because the previous owners password is still in there. I have tried to get to the Disc Utility by restarting and holding the control, alt/option and r keys but it just starts up to the normal screen. No disc utility. Any suggestions?

thanks, carl s

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 3:45 PM

The key combination for Recovery is Command (Apple) R; not control, alt/option and r keys.

Adding Option will start Internet Recovery, if available on your machine, subject to having a suitable internet connection.

15 replies

Jul 1, 2014 4:07 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy, thanks for the advice. Have been away from MacBook for a week. Today I did, several times, the restart-command-r. Just came up with the normal start routine. Is the command key the apple logo with the rounded corner square? If so thats what I used with the lower case r. No result. Maybe I will use this computer just for periferal stuff. Darn! Thanks Carl S

Jul 5, 2014 7:51 AM in response to user838711

If you started holding the Option key, and only saw Macintosh HD rather than that and Recovery, then it seems that Recovery is missing or damaged on your computer. Some models of MacBook will start in Internet Recovery if you use Command Option R; although it seems that yours is not suitable.

If you are able to start in Single User mode (hold Command & S at the chime), then you may be able to follow the steps below to change the password. Print them out first, & make sure that you know the name of the user that you wish to change. This won't alter the AppleID name & password that were used to install previous software, so you may still need to erase & (re)install yourself; starting with the relevant install DVD(s) which are usually available from Apple for around $20, if you call with the serial number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start in Single User mode & wait for the :/ root# prompt to appear

type mount -uw / then press enter (the slash is important)

again, wait for the :/ root# prompt

type passwd username

then press enter (swapping 'username' for the name you need to change the password for)

You should see

:/ root# passwd username

Changing password for username

New password:

You now type a password, which won't be shown onscreen, then press enter

then you should see

Retype new password:

type the same new password again, then press enter.

wait for the :/ root# prompt, then type reboot & press enter

Jul 13, 2014 10:47 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks again Andy. After I type in mount (space)-uw I get mount illegal option -- / then usage mount special mode Mount[-adfruvw] . Mount special | node

:/ root#. Then I type in passwd username and enter and the message passwd: the daemon encountered an error processing request. Should I have spelled passwd differently?

Thx carl s

Sent from my iPhone

Jul 14, 2014 7:54 AM in response to user838711

Andy, same issue. After the :/ root# appears (after I have typed in mount -uw / and entered it ) I type in the passwd carlflug and enter. Message comes up "the daemon ecountered an error processing request :/ root #. I took the username from the settings selection of users and that was the only one except guest. Is it possible that I am using the wrong username? Thx Carl s

I need help changing the previous owners id and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.