Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I often save finished word documents as pdf files - recently I have been unable to open and read these documents in Word. I can open them in preview or from the document library, but I'd like to be able to open

I often save finished word documents (Office 2011) as pdf files - Until recently I have been able to open, read and print these documents in Word. Since I downloaded the latest upgrade (14.4.2) they open in unreadable Unicode Text only. I can open them if I move them to my desktop (in preview) or from the document library, but I'd like to be able to open them in Word. Any ideas why I can no longer do this? Or how to remedy this?

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 11:54 AM

1 reply

Jun 26, 2014 12:32 PM in response to carievt

The answer is simple... If you want to remedy this, then don't save them as PDFs.

Word opens Word and text documents. Not PDFs.

Also note that this forum is for troubleshooting Apple Software Update for Windows, a software package for Windows designed to update Apple products that run on Windows, and not related to Microsoft Office or your question in any way. If you have issues or questions about Office, it's probably best you post Office related questions on Microsoft's own forums for their Mac products.

http://www.officeformac.com/productforums

I often save finished word documents as pdf files - recently I have been unable to open and read these documents in Word. I can open them in preview or from the document library, but I'd like to be able to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.