Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi sync NEVER works, for any of my devices

Hello, Apple Support Community!

This is a problem I have had for literally years now, and always just dealt with it. Today, however, I'm in a mood and it's especially p---ing me off.

First, the details.

My devices:

- A PC desktop computer (HP Omni 200), running 64 bit Windows 7

- iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.1

- iPad 2 also running iOS 7.1.1

I update iTunes regularly, and it's currently version 11.2.2

All devices are on the same network (the -only- network available to me in my home).

I have both my phone and my iPad checked to sync over wifi. On the rare occasion, when I start up iTunes on my computer, they will show up under "devices" and stay there. 90% of the time, however, either they'll show up for a moment, like they're loading, and then disappear, or won't show up at all. I've tried restarting iTunes a bunch of times. I've tried running iTunes as an administrator (which will sometimes work if I am verrry lucky). I've restarted my computer, and each device. I've tried turning WiFi off and on again on the devices, which leads to them showing up briefly in iTunes, again with the loading circle, before disappearing yet again. I've tried having the devices connected to power. NOTHING seems to be a permanent fix. This is something I've struggled with for years, and keep hoping that the next iTunes update will solve the problem, but nope. I have grown to hate iTunes with a burning passion, but I have such an extensive music library there, and with my other "iDevices", I've kept around for the sake of simplicity. It's not that I really mind plugging them in via USB to sync, but there are other features (such as the iTunes Remote app) that rely on the device being connected over WiFi.

This seems like such a ridiculous issue, and I am baffled as to why it has persisted for so long (and for so many people). Stop updating the "look" of iTunes and actually fix the stupid thing! If anyone has any permanent solutions outside of throwing my electronics out the window, I would appreciate your help!

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 4:45 PM

3 replies

Jun 26, 2014 5:35 PM in response to bear_

"I've tried having the devices connected to power."

For automatic sync over Wi-Fi, devices have to be connected to power. Sync will not be initiated otherwise.

re Wi-Fi issues:

Are you positive your problem is with iTunes and your devices and not with your network? Please search the forum for specific help with Wi-Fi issues.

Jul 11, 2014 11:30 AM in response to Rysz

Okay, nevermind the sync for now. I did know it has to be connected to power, but that is irrelevant since my devices won't appear in iTunes at all.

I am pretty sure the issue is with iTunes, as the it persists no matter what network I am on. I just moved recently, and now have internet with an entirely different provider and still no luck. Today I changed my network name and password, reconnected my computer, phone, and iPad all to the same network, no change. I also tried ending the "AppleMobileDeviceHelper" process in Windows Task Manager repeatedly, a solution I saw in a thread for the same issue - still nope. I have Norton Internet Security and manage all firewall setting through there. iTunes and all related incoming and outgoing connections are allowed, so it's not my firewall either. I am at a sincere loss with this.

WiFi sync NEVER works, for any of my devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.