Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iPhoto libary to external HD to free up space on my local HD

Is it possible to do what I wrote in my subject line and when I open iPhoto it will access my libary on the external HD?

If so how do I link iPhoto to the libary on my external HD?

Thanks

WhtMacbook2.0 2.0Ram May06-iMaciSightG5 20"1.5RAM Feb06-iMacG5 20"A 2.0RAM Dec04, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 5G iPod (30GB) Dec05, WhtMacbook ordered 5/16/06

Posted on Sep 14, 2006 12:26 PM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2006 1:07 PM in response to Mini-Mac

A bit more more detal than teryip's response...

First, use Get Info to configure the external disk for "Ignore Ownership." Then...

When you drag to the external disk, it's a "copy" rather than a "move." After the drag, delete the original version on the internal disk BUT don't empty the trash just yet. Open iPhoto (no need to hold down Opt key). iPhoto will not know where the library is located so it will ask you. (The Opt key is needed if you want to created an ADDITIONAL library.) Direct it to the new location.

AFTER you confirm that all is OK, then it's OK to empty the trash and recover the space on the internal drive.

Sep 14, 2006 3:20 PM in response to giorni

Do everything below from the Finder.

First, go to to Finder Preferences (General) and display CDs, DVDs and iPods. (Don't ask. I have no clue why an external Hard Disk is not recognized as a Hard Disk.)

Then, highlight the external disk.

Finally, go to File GetInfo and look for Ownership and Permissions. Check "Ignore Ownership." This will make your external HD function just like a really big floppy!

When finished, you can change the Finder Preferences back to whatever you prefer.

Sep 16, 2006 12:06 PM in response to giorni

NB on my PowerBook, there IS a box to check for 'Hard Disks'...<<<</div>

I have the same box to check but it shows only the internal hard disk! No clue why but it's not a big deal to me so I never investigated.

which I then drag to the main one when I get back to the office.<<<</div>

I have never had the need to merge multiple libraries so I have no clue if that will work. My gut feel is that, even if it does work, it's a bit risky. You might start a new thread entitled "merging libraries" or something similar. Many readers do not investigate threads that already have many posts because it's likely that the problem has already been resolved. With some luck, the Old Toad will respond and help you further.

Oh, be sure to mention that your "permanent" library is on an external HD that you do not normally carry around with you.

Moving iPhoto libary to external HD to free up space on my local HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.