Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Express 8.0, should I re install?

Hi everyone, old guy, old equipment, not very techie but figure out what I need. I made the mistake of loading Logic on the desk top not in utilities. Worked fine for seven years but now I think it's corrupted. Now I keep having audio conflicts and processor spikes which interrupt recording and I am unable to get downloads that may fix the problem. I have original disk which has the second version should I uninstall the original and install the second version in utilities? All projects are on an external hard drive so aside from templates I shouldn't lose anything.

Thanks in advance

Geo

MacBook OSX 10.4.11, M-AUDIO 410, M-AUDIO M-TRACK

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 7:46 PM

8 replies

Jun 27, 2014 7:00 AM in response to geochef

I'm a little confused by your statement " I made the mistake of loading Logic on the desk top not in utilities."

First of all, Logic by default installs to your Applications folder, not to your desktop and certainly not to your Utilities folder. So for starters, if your Logic folder is on your desktop or somewhere else, you need to drag it into your Applications folder. Among other things, you can't install updates if Logic is not in Applications. After you've moved it try launching it to see if its performance has improved. You can also try updating it via Software Update.

Jun 27, 2014 8:52 PM in response to Guitartist

Sorry meant applications, I must have mirrored it on the desk top but when I tried to do the logic updates it tells me "an eligible logic express application was not found in /Applications." So I can't for some reason get any of the fixes that are there and when I try to update through Software Update it tells me I am up to date.

As far as the core audio glitches I originally thought the issue was with my M-Audio 410 (it has developed it's own set of glitches) but I replaced it but now the problems surface when I am just mixing or programming drum tracks without an interface connected, normally one of the processors will spike and a couple of seconds later I get an audio conflict of some type and everything stops.

Jun 28, 2014 6:17 AM in response to geochef

Okay. When Software Update tells you that it can't find an eligible Logic Express application, that typically means that either the Logic folder is not where it belongs or it has been renamed. Make sure that the Logic folder (or package) is in your Applications folder (not nested inside another folder such as "Music Apps") and is named "Logic Express," not "Logic Express 8.1" or whatever. If it's not named properly SU won't see it.

If you are experiencing problems even after disconnecting the interface there may still be a driver conflict if you never uninstalled the M-A 410 driver. Also, check audio preferences in Logic . . . are you using your built-in audio output when mixing? . . . have you increased your buffer size to allow for smoother playback while editing? Playback will be glitchy if you try editing with too low a buffer size. You can lower the buffer size after editing to record with lower latency.

It wouldn't hurt to try deleting your LE preference file if you're comfortable with doing that. Go to your user library, e.g. Geo > Library > Preferences and delete "com.apple.logic.express.plist." Launch Logic after deleting this and it will simply create a new one. This often helps resolve issues.

I'm curious . . . do you use any other music apps, like GarageBand for example? If so, do you have audio issues with them also?

Jun 28, 2014 9:05 PM in response to Guitartist

Thanks, I thought about trying Garage Band last night and will check it out. (I haven't used it much since I got logic) LE is in Applications and named correctly and I can launch it from there and the desk top, I will double check the downloads I tried to make sure they were for the right version.

I/O Buffer size is 256 and the Process Buffer is set on large. I will try the other changes you suggested tomorrow, just finished a 15 hour shift in the kitchen and the brain is fried right now. Thanks for the help.

Geo

Jul 22, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Guitartist

Hi sorry it been awhile my real job is busy this time of year. Still can't get the download. LE is in Applications, gold record icon with Logic Express under it, if I hit "Get Info" in "Name & Extensions" it says Logic Express.app should I remove the ".app"? It ask if I am sure I want to remove it. Could the fact the program is like 6 or 7 years old be a factor?

Jul 23, 2014 2:04 PM in response to geochef

1) Do NOT delete ".app."

2) LE8 should run just fine in OSX 10.4.11.

3) You still haven't said if you've tested GarageBand to see if you experience similar problems. If you DO, that would tell you that the problem lies with your audio interface or core audio and NOT Logic. Troubleshooting will be a lot easier if you try another audio program instead of Logic.

4) Follow the suggestions in my previous post re: updating your M-A 410 driver and deleting your .plist file.

5) Try setting your I/O buffer size to 512 or even 1024 to see if playback is less glitchy. You can change it back to 256 again to record.

Aug 4, 2014 7:14 PM in response to Guitartist

Hi,

1) Did not delete ".app"

2) Still no luck with downloading LE 8.0 update same message

3) Tried Garage Band got "audio engine too slow" error message there as well

4) Last recording session LE it worked fine for 3 hours then started random burst of static and freezing during recording and playback..

5) Updated everything (except LE)

6) Went to delete "com.apple.logic.express.plist." but didn't find it closest file is "com.apple.RegLogicExpress.plist." is this it?

Thanks

Logic Express 8.0, should I re install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.