Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't sync my email accounts to my iOS devices.

All my IMAP emails accounts sync to my computers via iCloud and Internet Accounts in the system preferences and Apple Mail. How do I sync them to my iOS device? Shouldn't it be automatic?

iTunes used to have a feature to replace email accounts from this computer top force it to a device. What happened to that? All software is current and up to date we all on 10.9.

Please help.

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 12:05 AM

I also had wanted to automatically sync my internet accounts from my Macs to the iPhone. Unfortunately, the iCloud Keychain won't do the job, which was what I first assumed.

It would be a great deal if internet accounts were managed similar to the way they are managed on OS X and macOS. Entering or updating passwords and mail signatures just feels rather odd once you saw how the Macs are keeping all the settings nicely in sync across the devices.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 12:05 AM in response to dpavid

I also had wanted to automatically sync my internet accounts from my Macs to the iPhone. Unfortunately, the iCloud Keychain won't do the job, which was what I first assumed.

It would be a great deal if internet accounts were managed similar to the way they are managed on OS X and macOS. Entering or updating passwords and mail signatures just feels rather odd once you saw how the Macs are keeping all the settings nicely in sync across the devices.

Jun 29, 2014 11:14 PM in response to Brett L

Correct, my iCloud email works perfect. I'm talking about all my IMAP emails.

Before I could sync it from iTunes and force it into my mobile devices. When I make Rules in Apple Mail, they all appear ion all my computers. When I change the email password on one computer, to changes it on all the computers. The iCloud sync works perfect BUT, it is not syncing/adding/updating my IMAP email accounts to my mobiles devices.

Please advise.

Jul 10, 2014 2:44 PM in response to dpavid

Hi dpavid,

Hi again, and I’m sorry I did not completely understand your situation on the first try. It sounds like your other (non-iCloud) email IMAP accounts are not syncing with your iOS devices.

This might seem like an odd question, but have you actually set up those email accounts on these devices? iCloud does not actually do this for you, each account, such as Gmail, Yahoo or any other mail service provider, needs to be set up on each device you are using it with.

Information on how to set up an account can be found in this document -

iPhone User Guide

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Specifically -

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.

See page 16 under Set up mail and other accounts.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Jul 10, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Brett L

Really? What happened to the "Replace Mail Accounts" feature in iTunes that would copy over all my mail accounts from Apple Mail to my iOS devices?

I know I could set them up manually but I have 5 IMAP emails, all of which have 15-20 gibberish character passwords. Just trying to avoid migrating them over to my iOS devices without setting them up each manually one by one. What a headache!

Dec 11, 2014 4:02 AM in response to dpavid

I've done lots of research on this and it seems this feature has indeed gone. I've no idea how to do a workaround other then to manually enter each mail account into each IOS device - very tedious, especially when there was a perfectly good feature that worked just fine. I have a feeling that the Mail accounts are transfered when you set up an iPhone or iPad for the first time so I'm going to have a go with an old iPad and see.

Dec 11, 2014 4:07 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett you seem to have missed the point here, there was a feature in iTunes that allowed you to force sync and therefore transfer mail accounts from a mac to an iOS device. this feature apparently disappeared back in iTunes 11.1 I didn't notice as my contract phone was fine and I've only just upgraded. the feature is certainly not there even in the new Info tab in iTunes 12

Mar 30, 2015 7:46 PM in response to dpavid

Greetings!

I just ran into the same issue as I am needing to send my Mac in for repair and wanted to set up / sync my multiple email accounts from my Mac to my iPhone. After some serious frustration and a call into AppleCare, while I don't agree with the reasoning, I now see why they do not allow this automatic syncing via iTunes of your mail account info from your Mac to your Device. It is a "Security" precaution so, in the event your mac gets in the hands of a "wrong" person, they would not be able to just attach any device to your computer and sync over all of your email account information to their device in one sync. That is what I was told of why you have to manually set up your emails again on your device. For me, my GMAIL accounts DID sync over much easier than email accounts with custom domains or "non-traditional" email hosts. But, I still needed to enter in the passwords.

Hope this helps in at least understanding why they may have made it this way.

Cheers!

~ A ~

May 7, 2015 4:51 PM in response to Brother Antonio

It is a "Security" precaution so, in the event your mac gets in the hands of a "wrong" person, they would not be able to just attach any device to your computer and sync over all of your email account information to their device in one sync.

That's BS. If your Mac gets in the hands of the "wrong person," how does sync'ing it to their own iPhone (and seriously, why would a thief do that?) make any difference, when they can just open up Mail to read your email? Sorry, but taking away features that people use is absolutely unacceptable. Sure, uncheck it by default for people who are less savvy or don't care, but leave it there as an option for people who know what they're doing. If you're savvy enough to enable the feature, then you should be savvy enough to change all of your email passwords (and anything else important that's stored on the Mac) in the unlikely event that your Mac gets stolen.

Nov 17, 2016 1:08 PM in response to dpavid

I've just stopped here for the same reasons and feel exactly the same *pain*.

Not being able to sync "Internet Accounts" among devices (which was possible pre-iCloud), in times of computer generated passwords, is a big regression and just ruins the user experience. It just *doesn't* work.

The existence of 1Password and others just proves Apple doesn't care with something as basic as passwords. It's like buying a Bentley or a Ferrari and have to pay extra for a good(?) set of keys coz the originals are subpar. (or even worse, subscribe to a service to 'manage' your keys :o).

Every time I bump into a useless frill in their products I remember Keychain hasn't received any love in years and the experience across devices is getting worse.

Well, back to work, 15 passwords to go until the next change. Sad.

I can't sync my email accounts to my iOS devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.