Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my mail signature appear above the quoted text?

Despite checking the box "place signature above quoted text" in Mail preferences signatures, my signature continues to appear at the bottom of the reply. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I keep hoping a software update will fix this problem. Do I need to trash my preferences or trash all of my signatures and start over. OS 10.9.3

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 6:25 AM

16 replies

Jul 24, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Cousin Brucie

It's happening to me too, but only since the last update to OS X 10.9.4. Before Mail was behaving correctly

Reading this thread I can see others had this problem with different system versions.

I guess something got corrupted but as Barry Hemphill wrote, I can't afford to trash prefs without knowing which one is the culprit

and losing all my mailboxes settings

Jul 24, 2014 12:33 PM in response to annabelle

I was reading around to find a solution and someone had a different problem that I have too: the size of the font used in the signature.

Sometime my signature is too big, I can see it in replies I get. I unchecked the "Alway match my default message font" as suggested.

Well, not sure yet about that, but the signature now appears above the quoted text.

I tried to quit and relaunch Mail to see if it still works and it is!

Jul 25, 2014 5:50 AM in response to VikingOSX

Viking ... wrong answer. Read my original post.

Clarification ... occasionally, it will appear in correct position above the quoted text (because I have the box checked in prefs). I have yet to discern a pattern, although messages with multiple fonts seem to have a better chance. Messages from iPhones have a lower chance. Been happening since Lion.

Don't get me started about the missing mail sounds and then the occasional endless mail sounds when I am on the road.

I want to know if anyone has ever fixed it by trashing prefs.

Jul 29, 2014 4:03 PM in response to Cousin Brucie

Ditto! Signatures are being placed above the text, but the format of my signature doesn't stay put once it's been saved.

I updated to Mavericks last month after feeling it was safe to do so after a year of it's release.

Yosemite is going to be a big update with updates (finally) to the Mail program.

I won't be jumping on to that upgrade after I hear about it's stability months (or longer) after it's release.

As some have posted already, it looks like we're experiencing similar issues that we'll have to work with for now.

Definitely let Apple know of any software bugs! Mail is one those apps that has been having issues going back a few updates.

Jun 5, 2015 7:49 PM in response to annabelle

annabelle wrote:

Have you tried to uncheck the "Alway match my default message font"?

It works for me, I hope it does for you too and everyone else.

I guess it changes the prefs where the signature is kept too.

Thanks! This worked for me. Unchecking "Always match...font" fixes the bug, and the signature now appears above the quoted text. Thanks!!!!

Why doesn't my mail signature appear above the quoted text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.