Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Delayed SMS

Hi all. I have been having issues with my iPhone and its messaging system as of late. My iMessages, even though they say delivered do not send to my girlfriend on her iPhone, her only Apple device. She sometimes gets them days later burt more often then not, she won't get them at all. If she sends me an iMessage it will go through to my iPhone ok, but even if I reply to the same conversation thread it will not reach her phone. This happens over both WiFi and cellular data network.

So, no big deal, I turned off my data in order to make sure my messages were sending as SMS and reaching my girlfriend and it has been working fine, until today I noticed a lapse in our conversation of about an hour until 10 SMS messages came in almost simultaneously that my girlfriend had sent which had time stamps spanning the hour gap. We both had network coverage.

Are there any solutions for this out there Apple? Thanks

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 8:19 AM

Hi Eoin93,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

This does indeed sound line a very frustrating situation. There may be several steps I would recommend here to help isolate and resolve this situation. The following article has a lot of useful steps in it and I would recommend working your way through them. Please let me know if you still have issues after you complete the steps.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you still can't send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that the contact you're trying to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact in the Contacts app. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

Have a great day,

-Joe

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Eoin93

Hi Eoin93,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

This does indeed sound line a very frustrating situation. There may be several steps I would recommend here to help isolate and resolve this situation. The following article has a lot of useful steps in it and I would recommend working your way through them. Please let me know if you still have issues after you complete the steps.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you still can't send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that the contact you're trying to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact in the Contacts app. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

Have a great day,

-Joe

Jul 3, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Eoin93

Hey Eoin93,

Is it only your girlfriend's iPhone that is not receiving your messages? If it is isolated to her iPhone I would suggest the troubleshooting steps on her device. If your messages are not reaching everyone you text, even sporadically, there may be a few more things we can try.

Please let me know,

Joe

Dec 30, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Eoin93

you better try this one..

• Press Settings
  • Press Carrier
  • Press the indicator next to Automatic to turn off automatic network selection
  • The phone will then search for available networks
  • Choose a network other than your current carrier e.g (vodafone)
  • When you see the error message, choose Vodafone
  • Press the indicator next to Automatic to turn automatic network selection on (or you can just choose manually your current network)

iPhone Delayed SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.