13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2014 1:30 AM by léonie
Coachdl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I use iPhoto 9.5 and Aperture 3.5.1 on a Mac OSX 10.9.3.  I have imported my photos from iPhoto to Aperture and the thumbnails are clear as can be.  When I open one of them, it is completely blurred.  How do I fix that?

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (69,430 points)
    I have imported my photos from iPhoto to Aperture and the thumbnails are clear as can be.

How did you import your photos from iPhoto to Aperture?

• Coachdl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just used the Aperture import mechanism.

I should add that I did this because I had lost many of my thumbnails in iPhoto and this was an attempt to recover them.

I just used the Aperture import mechanism.

You used "File > Import > Library" and selected the iPhoto library?  You could have simply opened the library in Aperture without importing.

I should add that I did this because I had lost many of my thumbnails in iPhoto and this was an attempt to recover them.

If iPhoto could not find the original images, then Aperture cannot either. Both applications are using the same library format.

Select one of the blurred images and and look at the information in the Info panel. What is the pixel size? Have you imported thumbnails or full images?

3008 x 2000 (6mp) is what it shows.  I'm not sure if they were done by thumbnail or full images.  I suspect the former from what has happened because the thumbnails are fine.

Can you tell from the pixels whether or not I imported thumbnails or full images?

I used Library Manager to rebuild the Library because the thumbnails would disappear in iPhoto.  When I opened Aperture all of the thumbnails stayed on the screen.  Just got blurred when I tried to open them.

3008 x 2000 (6mp)
    Can you tell from the pixels whether or not I imported thumbnails or full images?

That will depend  on the camera you used. Some older cameras did not have a resolution of ore than five megapixel. Newer cameras will take at least 10mp or more.

Are your photos RAW photos? Then try to use the command "Photos > Reprocess original" one some of the pots and see,if that helps..

In any case try to export one of the photos to yor Desktop to check it in Preview or a different application. "File > Export > Original".

It tells me that it can't find the Original.  The odd thing is that the pictures were all visible one day and gone the next, without any changes to anything.

Then the original image files are either missing, or iPhoto/Aperture has lost the connection to them. Since the thumbnails are looking good, I'd first try to save the thumbnails to a folder on your Desktop. You can simply select all images in an event at once and drag the the thumbnails from the Aperture window into a folder on your Desktop. This will save any preview images you are still having. Check these previews in the Preview app if they are still useful.Then ctrl-click the Aperture library and use the command "Show package contents". Look at the folder "Masters". You'll see subfolder named  year - month - day, with further subfolders with cryptic names. Dive down this nested structure and check, if any original images are inside.  Do you see you original image files there?

Where do I find the Aperture Library?

Where do I find the Aperture Library?

By default will  the Aperture library be created in your Pictures folder and named "Aperture Linbrary.aplibrary".  It will look like your iPhoto library in the Finder:

Screen Shot 2014-06-28 at 03.25.29GMT+2.png

I have to check further, but I think that they are all there.  What's next.........for tomorrow?

I have to check further, but I think that they are all there.

What is "they"?  The exported thumbnails or the original files in the "Masters" folder?

If the Masters are there, but Aperture lists them as missing, check, if you are seeing a "recovered" album or project in your library. This is a place, where Aperture will collect all images found in the library, that could not be linked to thumbnails. Do you see your images in a recovered item?

If there is no recovered item, try to rebuild. You already rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager, but could try again with Aperture: See this link:  Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual