Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BAD APPLE - THIS STINKS - APERTURE NO MORE!

This is really horrible news. The way Apple has treated the Pro market is disheartening. I have built my business (plug ins, training, etc..) around Aperture and Apple is simply abandoning us. And don't feed us the line that all this will be handled in the new Photos app, because I guarantee Photos will be used to satisfy the majority of consumers, not the professional market.

This really is one BAD APPLE. You ruined my vacation with this announcement.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/27/aperture-development-stops/

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 10:56 AM

13 replies

Jun 27, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Mac Carlos

I also feel my summer just got ruined. My whole full time professional working photography life is based around aperture..

Not sure where to start.. I love aperture.

ITs core to my business as a photographer.

I have tried all other software.. i just can not use it..

I would happily pay 500 a year for aperture to going and procressing.

I have years and years of achieve back up in two countries..

so you can image what this means for me.. months of work to re back up again..

i am worried that in 4-5 years i will not be able to access my old aperture files.

At the end, its the fastest and best soft wear i have ever used..

Please don't discontinue it.

not sure what help i can do..

Wil be it sold on to 3rd party developer..

or will it just be killed?

regards paul barbera

Jun 27, 2014 12:27 PM in response to mr barbera

Paul,

I couldn't say it better myself.

Your images can be exported to other software packages, and you can retain some metadata. Other metadata, such as location, faces, colors, stacks, and adjustments are LOST. Stacks, albums, and other organization you may have applied will be LOST.

Integration with the Apple ecosystem, such as iPads, is gone as well.

Of course, the application's unique features and intuitive interface will no longer be available.

This is a very disappointing development.

Sorry, Lightroom, like Photoshop, is just not fun to use. But it looks like now it has become a necessity.

Jun 27, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Mac Carlos

I don't understand this decision either. It's not like Apple hasn't had the funds to be able to support Aperture, but even if Aperture were not as profitable as they liked, they could have rolled almost all the features that Aperture currently possesses into the new Photos application (in effect subsuming iPhoto). For the price of the Aperture application, they could have included it with the installation of every new Mac and increased their photographer user base instead of neutering it.

Dumping people on the side of the street isn't a good way of supporting professionals.

Jun 27, 2014 2:00 PM in response to Mac Carlos

Apple only focuses on the iPhone, since they earn $400 per unit, and there are enough sheep who spend their money for a new iPhone every two years. With Aperture, Apple doesn't earn any money, they lose money with this software - so they get rid of it. What's more, Apple will now earn $150 net profit with every Beats ear warmer scrap they will sell. So what would you do: sell iPhones and Beats stuff, or work on Aperture and lose money?

Jun 27, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Emile Husson1

This is such a shame. Luckily I kind of saw this coming a long time ago (no crystal ball, just bad ongoing vibes). I switched over to a combination of Lightroom, Photoshop and various plug-ins over a year ago. As an all Apple hardware user it makes you kind of think about how long Apple will even be in the computer business. It would seem that it has caught a commercial product fever and can't see the forest for the trees any longer. It eventually will become a consumer technology toy company at this rate (albeit a very rich one). It makes you wonder where the industry as a whole is heading. Are we destined to have great camera equipment and mediocre software? I guess we will just have to see who steps into the breech. We do need legitimate competitors to Adobe.

Somehow though I think, in time, there will be light at the end of this tunnel. For all of Apple's successes they are not the only "smart" people in this industry. I see the entrepreneurial light going on all over the place. Let the games begin!

Jun 27, 2014 2:29 PM in response to Mac Carlos

I've been using Media Pro 1 as my primary DAM (digital asset management) application and iPhoto for special projects, i.e. books, calendars, etc.

FWIW if anyone decides to migrate to another DAM application and is interested in migrating to MP1 I've created a tutorial on how to do just that. It involves writing the metadata to the original/master files in the iPhoto/Aperture library with MP1 prior to migrating the Event folders out to another location for use with MP1: iP03 - Converting an iPhoto Library to a Media Pro Catalog System

There's a forum, The DAM Forum - Index - The DAM Book, that has sub forums for the various DAM apps including Media Pro. You can find out more about the various top DAM apps there.

User uploaded file

Jun 27, 2014 4:56 PM in response to C5Z

Someone said it best, "I miss the old Apple". Of course, we will move on and thanks for the info OT.

What made apple so great was the beautiful hardware along with elegant, powerful, amazing software. It is disheartening seeing this new Apple removing themselves from the markets which creative users used to love.

BAD APPLE - THIS STINKS - APERTURE NO MORE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.