Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 WIFI + Cell (Telstra AU) No Longer Able to SMS

Hi,

Please bare with me while I explain the history surrounding this problem; that has just started occurring in Jan/Feb/March 2014.

I received my iPad 4 wifi + cellular in April 2013 from Telstra. At the time of receiving my iPad, I was able to successfully send and receive M

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 2:49 PM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2014 2:57 PM in response to HaydenJOSH

I don't believe iPads, even with cellular capability can send or receive SMS texts. Only iMessage, which goes between iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac.

However, with iOS 8, iPads and Macs will be able to send and receive SMS texts, as well as make outgoing phone calls and take incoming phone calls. This only applies if you have an iPhone and an iPad connected to the same iCloud account. iOS 8 will not be made available until fall, however.

Jun 27, 2014 3:39 PM in response to HaydenJOSH

Hi,

Please bare with me while I explain the history surrounding this problem; that has just started occurring in Jan/Feb/March 2014

At the time I received my iPad 4 wifi + cellular (March 2013) I was able to successfully send and receive SMS ( text messages) in addition to apples iMessages. The SMS text messages would send the same as an iPhone however the service number would be that of the SIM card installed on my iPad. SMS messages would appear as green and iMessages would appear as blue. This worked very well as I was able to receive my iMessages and additionally be able to SMS text to recipients who do not have apple devices and are on a standard mobile device. This worked very well for the first year; I was able to travel with only my iPad being able to stay in touch with my family as it allowed me to iMessage and SMS unrestrictedly any mobile number or iMessage account. However since the start of the year and after a IOS update I noticed whilst I was traveling that my iPad was no longer able to SMS.

I performed a search on google for the problem; however was faced with everyone stating that iPad's have NEVER had the ability to SMS - this unfortunately is not true, as I know for a fact that I had the ability to SMS my brother who uses a Nokia older style handset which only receives SMS.... At the time I was able to successfully SMS him and other members of my family who did not have iMessage devices.

The texts would appear as a different colour to the iMessage texts in the messaging inbox. I know for a fact that I was able to SMS and iMessage from my iPad 4 with cellular; however since the IOS update around the end of the year this feature / service has been SILENTLY removed and all evidence pointing to the fact that you used to be able to SMS has been removed... Talk about a marketing scam! Anyway the problem I face now is that the requirement of why I wanted the iPad is no longer their. Since I am now no longer able to communicate with my family who DO NOT have apples devices, i find that my iPad is no longer useful to me.

I do not need a device which only allows me to communicate with other apple users.... I need the device I originally signed up for which had the ability to SMS and iMessage. I have reset iPad back to factory settings, reset network settings, cleared all data and setup iPad from scratch; however no luck. All webpages that ever refereed to iPad's being able to SMS have been taken down and changed to say that iPad's have never been able to SMS. This is ridiculers, I signed up for a product on a 24 month plan under the impression that I was able to use one device to stay in touch with my family whilst travelling. This changed after 8 months into my service and contract. I have spoken with Telstra who advised that this is a Apple IOS problem and not the carrier. Telstra also advised that they could not see any reason why I wasn't able to SMS from my iPad. I can confirm that the Telstra account is also setup for SMS, as I have since removed the SIM card and inserted into a phone to confirm that DATA / SMS is setup and available on the SIM... Yes I was able to text from a iPhone using the SIM.... This confirms that the carrier account is ok and nothing has changed... The only thing that has changed is the iPad IOS... I understand the reasoning behind why Apple has removed the SMS service; however I feel that making a change and secretly rolling it out and pretending to all that this feature was never available is unacceptable; Not only has my service been crippled now for 6 months, but I have also not been receiving the SMS on my iPad service number... I am loosing data and communication due to a change in the IOS... which everyone is pretending never happened. I will not accept; that SMS was never available on my iPad as I know for a fact it was and have SMS messages as proof that it was operational until they blocked it and forced everyone to use iMessage; restricting your communication to apple based products only and discriminating against communication to none apple devices. I entered into this 24 month Telstra iPad contact in good-faith that the product I was signing up for was able to do the required task. At the time of sign up and 8 months after sign up, I had the ability to iMessage and SMS from my iPad - this has since been restricted crippling my service and communication, preventing me from sending & receiving SMS text's from other non-apple devices; 6 months worth of lost SMS messages going back and forth trying to resolve the fact that I was unable to SMS. I hope that this post reaches the likes of a middle to high level support tech and not simply replied back with the standard response of iPad's have never been able to SMS... this is not true!.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Jun 27, 2014 3:57 PM in response to HaydenJOSH

I'm sorry, I have just never heard of an iPad having that ability. When did the problem begin? Did it just suddenly happen without any reason or did you update the device, and from there the problem began? I really don't know what to say, out of never having heard of this feature. Again, I am sorry and am not trying to deny that you ever had SMS working on your iPad, just to my knowledge, that wasn't possible.

May 4, 2015 8:27 AM in response to HaydenJOSH

TThis is my issue! I just recently lost the ability to send or see text messages from my iPad! I have always used my pad to send and receive messages. I too saw blue and green messages! It's been since the 8 update that the ability was lost. I thought I could use my pad for regular messaging because I had a cellular number associated with my iPad. I'm sure it asked me if I wanted to sync them together to receive testing on my pad and I said yes. I can show you a photo from my pad that contained both forms of messaging.

iPad 4 WIFI + Cell (Telstra AU) No Longer Able to SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.