Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 Training Series, Lesson 3, Applying parameters, Step 6 behav

Motion 5 Training Series, Lesson 3, Applying parameters, Step 6 (or vicinity) on page 112 of the book: The problem is the first gear won't turn the second gear.

User uploaded file

The scale was set at -1 per the text:

User uploaded file

But the Project Pane doesn't look like what the book shows:

User uploaded file

The book only shows one link but I show two links.

Step 4 and 5 were fine with no problems.

I was working on this two months ago and was stuck. Tried to attack the problem a few days ago and couldn't resolve the issue. Everything until now has worked fine. This is very close to the end of the lesson and I'd really like to finish it. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 5:38 AM

OK, you need to delete Link 1. Then hold the Option key while dragging it into Cog3. Each Cog gets only one Link behavior. Looks like you didn't Option-drag that Link behavior completely into Cog3, and it duplicated, but fell back into Cog 2.

The reason to Option-drag, is to make a duplicate of the original Link behavior, so that ALL of the Link behaviors get their data from the first Cog. That way, you change the direction and speed of Cog 1, and all the other Cogs will change in sync.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Searchin99

OK, you need to delete Link 1. Then hold the Option key while dragging it into Cog3. Each Cog gets only one Link behavior. Looks like you didn't Option-drag that Link behavior completely into Cog3, and it duplicated, but fell back into Cog 2.

The reason to Option-drag, is to make a duplicate of the original Link behavior, so that ALL of the Link behaviors get their data from the first Cog. That way, you change the direction and speed of Cog 1, and all the other Cogs will change in sync.

Jun 29, 2014 4:36 PM in response to BenB

Ben - thanks for trying to help out on this. The World Cup games are over and I can't think of any more reasons to procrastinate. This has been giving me a fair amount of grief.

I'm very leery about doing the "Option+drag into Cog3" because of the difficulty in trying to "un-do". Un-do works sometimes but then sometimes it doesn't seem to work. Also, when it does un-do, sometimes it doesn't un-do it correctly. Can't figure out when it works and when it doesn't so Im very, very careful both going forward and with using the un-do option.

Anyway, another reason why I'm leery about going to the next step with Cog3 is because Cog1 and Cog2 don't work together yet. "1" works by itself and "2" works by itself (with the opposite one just staying still in each case). It seems logical that the two SHOULD work together before moving onto Cog3; am I correct on this?

When I went back in this time it was noticed that the "Link 1" is not there anymore. Maybe because when I exited I didn't do a Save? Here is what it looks like now with Link 1 gone:

User uploaded file

In order to tell Cog2 to work with Cog1, I dragged the Cog1 layer (as per Step 7) into the Add Parameter Behavior so that Cog2 will be linked with Cog1:

User uploaded file

For info #1: I *think* that when Cog1 was dragged and got to the box it looked like the little curved shortcut arrow but changed when it got there. I know it did it at least once - just don't remember for sure.

For info #2: I didn't "click" (and let go) on the Cog1 layer; I just dragged it into the Source Object box of the HUD.

The window shot appears to look exactly like it should (except for the shortcut arrow) but the ... dang ... gears .... still don't rotate together!!! Arrrrgh! (sorry, this is just getting to me).

Maybe it should it have been "Option-dragged"?

Like I said, I'm afraid to move on to the Cog3 step if this hasn't been sorted out because I don't want to make a real mess of things.

Jul 1, 2014 10:08 PM in response to BenB

The "Option Key" worked. Thanks for the support.

Because I hadn't saved where I left off, I was able to start from the last saved location and "do it properly" and everything works fine now. Currently I'm just one page from finishing the chapter - have another hick-up so what else is new. There is a small diamond (at the end of the Properties>Transform>Position>X line) that turned orange and has a "+" sign in it, and a box that says something about needing to add a frame, or something like that (I didn't write it down). Anyway, just another little thing to deal with.

This is in the "Combining Behaviors and Adding a Light" section but before Step 10. I'm wondering if the first gear cluster, or maybe the left curtain, is too far left or something like that.

Motion 5 Training Series, Lesson 3, Applying parameters, Step 6 behav

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.