Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Eureka Moment: Using Backups to 'archive' projects w/o their media

Hi

I've posted a few discussions re how to rid myself of many projects and snapshots that have accumulated on this feature-length doc, and to my mind and eye seem to be hampering the performance of my 15" MBP 2.66. I've been getting the spinning wheel and elongated pauses while a dropdown window says a bunch of projects and snapshots that are not open and are unwanted are nevertheless being loaded. But I don't want to move or copy the accompanying media.

After pondering this for a good bit, I'm thinking copying and archiving backups to another drive might well be ideal since, I believe, they are the database without the media. And if at some point I decide maybe there was something in a project editing I should reexamine there it will be in the backup which I can open, check and if desired, copy to my current library.

Seem reasonable?

best

elmer

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 7:22 PM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2014 2:54 PM in response to elmerlang

Hi elmerlang,

Relying on the automatic backups is not recommended as they are automatically deleted when they are more than several days old. For more information about managing storage locations, please refer to the "Manage storage locations" section of the Final Cut Pro X online user manual below:

Final Cut Pro X Help - Manage Storage Locations - Consolidate media files for a library

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.1/#ver7db6ffe77

When working in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2, keep a dedicated event for current projects, and move old projects to another dedicated event. This should also help with performance as you will only load projects when they are needed.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

The Eureka Moment: Using Backups to 'archive' projects w/o their media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.