Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FRAGILE RETINA DISPLAY

I HAVE JUST HAD TO REPLACE A NEW MAC BOOK PRO SCREEN.

THE 15 INCH IS THREE WEEKS OLD. THE SCREEN CRACKED. I WAS NOT NOT AWARE WHEN I BOUGHT THIS THAT THERE IS SOME HISTORY OF BREAKS ON THESE RETINA SCREENS.

I HAVE SINCE BOUGHT A "TECH 21 IMPACT" PROTECTOR AND A NEW NEOPRENE "INCASE" AS WELL.

THAT PROTECTS THE OUTSIDE BUT IS THERE ANYTHING THAT PROTECTS THE SCREEN? SINCE READING UP ABOUT THESE SCREENS I FIND THAT THEY ARE INDEED VERY VERY FRAGILE. NOW I WORRY THAT THIS MAY HAPPEN AGAIN !!!

IS THERE ANYTHING OUT THERE THAT CAN STICK ON THE SCREEN TO BRING IT BACK UP TO THE STRENGTH OF THE EARLIER MACBOOK PROS?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 7:37 AM

19 replies

Jul 29, 2017 2:58 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

> IS THERE ANYTHING OUT THERE THAT CAN STICK ON THE SCREEN TO BRING IT BACK UP TO THE STRENGTH OF THE EARLIER MACBOOK PROS?

+1 for this. My retina cracked second time and I am not liking that at all. It is almost like spending a fortune on these screen that don't last. I have used laptops for 20+ years and this is the only laptop that has protection and only laptop that has two screen cracks. When you ask those folks at the idiot bar - they maintain this is not an issue - but if you ask me - it definitely is.

Honestly I wouldn't mind something that was more sturdy than beautiful. With kids growing up - I am now really scared to have these laptops be anywhere around them - don't want it cracking on them. Sadly might have to move back to Windows.

Jun 28, 2014 7:42 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

I am not sure where you are getting the idea that there is widespread issues with MacBook Pro screen cracking (retina or otherwise, since they both use the same glass covering). The MBPs have use glass over the displays for a good number of years, so are you referring to pre-unibody MBPs from 6 or 7 years ago that did not use glass?

I did a quick google search and found a couple of posts, most of which are related to people dropping their devices. This does not seem to be an epidemic.

I do not know of anything that will make the glass less breakable. The best advice I can give you is to take care of your device and avoid dropping it, bending it, or putting immense weight on it. Doing any of these things will likely cause problems, even if the glass doesn't break.

Jun 28, 2014 9:38 AM in response to The_Scort

The_Scort,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not spent much time researching web sites for the number of damaged screens. However I have been reliably informed that this is not as rare an occurrence as you make out.

I understand that the Retina display protective glass in not the same thickness as the earlier models. I am not sure specifically what the thickness is because it's not in the specification . From what i have read the LCD cover glasses range from .3 to 3.2 mm thick. it makes a big difference in the robustness of the screen. If you know the differences in the thicknesses then it would be interesting to know.

Just for comparison i had a 17 inch for over six years and no problems at all. It went with me everywhere and with stood many bumps and knocks admirably. I have a new top of the range model and i had a problem with in weeks. I have seen that there are protective screens available for lots of other products but not the 15 inch.

A laptop is designed to travel and i travel a lot and when i travel i want to be sure that i won't have the same problem again, so anything i can find to add a the strength of the screen is i think the way to go.

Jun 28, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Csound1

There is a lot out there on the net that can support any point of view you please i guess. There are plenty of sights offering repairs to cracked screens so i guess it happens.

The question for me as a buyer is simple. Is the Retina display more or less fragile then the previous model. The answer seems to be yes. Therefore what to do about it. Protect the case and the screen seems like the answer.

The equipment seems to be out there for the case and i see that there is tempered glass protective screens available to attach to the screen, which thanks i found after looking up cracked screens.

For all those thinking of buying a new macbook pro expecting the new model to be as robust as the old model , i would suggest you speak with the technicians at apple and ask the question about screen thickness and fragility before you buy, especially if you travel.

Jun 28, 2014 1:35 PM in response to WINDOWUSER

Then we will just disagree, the web is full of unsubstantiated scare stories, there are always some who will believe them (especially if they break their own screen)

To all potential Retina purchasers: there are no endemic issues with the Retina screen, mine goes back and forth in checked baggage from the UK to the USA, it has yet to break with all that throwing around.

Jun 28, 2014 2:09 PM in response to Csound1

I guess i don't disagree with you.

I also would not wish to dissuade anyone form buying a macbook, but if your,re needing to have absolute confidence when you are on the move then you should think twice. I offer only that to the community. Luckily i was able to get mine fixed pretty quick. It still remains to say that the fact of life with Macbook pros is that you can't always make them thin and stronger at the same time. If your honest about that then we agree.

It's horses for courses if you want indestructible then get a tough book.

Jun 28, 2014 2:24 PM in response to WINDOWUSER

WINDOWUSER wrote:

I guess i don't disagree with you.

It's horses for courses if you want indestructible then get a tough book.

Yes, those statements make sense. A Macbook Pro (any of them) is a relatively fragile device, all laptops (with the exception of the ToughBook) are. Normal care and a decent case will make them much stronger.

Oct 8, 2014 4:02 PM in response to WINDOWUSER

My tech. person at school switched out my original ipad to one with the retina display. I have had it 4 weeks. This morning I used it and it was fine. It was on my desk all day, it has never been dropped. I got home and sat down with it and there is a hairline crack in it. I actually thought it was a piece of hair! The only place I used it today was sitting at my desk. At the end of the day it went in my briefcase. I believe that this screen IS more fragile no matter what others say. There is no reason for this screen to have cracked.

May 31, 2015 7:22 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

Thesr things are crazy fragile. much like another user on this thread, had been using the laptop at the desk for a few months, sent an email, closed the lid placed in back pack, opened up after dinner and the screen was cracked at the corner. Chatting with the tech, they get this so much that they have a streamline workflow dedicated to this "typical problem". screen was fixed. 6 weeks later on travel...exiting my hotel room with laptop out I grazed the wall.....shattered...my coworker in the hall was simply astonished. "you hardly bumped that thing"....😠 with this situation. will be switch to a Surface Pro 3 if they'll let me.

May 31, 2015 7:52 AM in response to WINDOWUSER

In response to Todd,

Bad luck with your screen. Frustrating as it gets. I had my screen replaced also.

My own understanding is that there are less protection layers on screens are less than previous screens of Mac book Pro.In order to reduce thickness of the form factor. ( It would be good to get positive information about the difference in tensile strength , impact resistance of the screens on new models versus the old before you invest your hard earned cash. )

I would like to find a good plastic screen to attach to my own retina screen for added protection because i travel a a lot and worry that it will get another crack and i will be left in a bind. Last time i looked there were not too many choices for the 15 inch screens compared to the numerous possibilities to protect iPhones for example.

My old discussion on this thread was based on the fact that overall i liked my old (tougher) 17 inch mac book pro. I was disappointed when they stopped making them and assumed that the new models would exceed in every way the build quality and strength of the previous models.

I wouldn't give up on Apple just yet though if you are swapping a large screen for a small one. whats the point? Granted you can always use a slave monitor.

FRAGILE RETINA DISPLAY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.