Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I put a ssd in a 2005 ibook g4

to make it faster

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 8:36 AM

12 replies

Jun 28, 2014 8:53 AM in response to detour12

Even if this was in fact possible, it's really not a good idea to throw money at such an old Mac. The upgrade would cost you many times the value of the Mac without really adding to its value, and the Mac itself may become unreliable with age. SSDs of any size are horrendously expensive - and in practice I doubt you would see much of a speed increase as you would still be limited by the processor - much of the waiting time you are probably experiencing is likely to be due to the processor rather than the disk access.

Jun 28, 2014 12:38 PM in response to detour12

There are examples online, some at OWC:

For most 2.5" portables which use an ATA/IDE (parallel ATA) hard drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

Select a product to see more detailed specifications on the SSD & computer

models they are said to be intended for use in. (They also fit PC builds.)

If I were to upgrade my mid-2005 12" iBook G4 (last model) I'd consider an

SSD such as these, since the iBook shipped with '40GB' (36GB) capacity.

And my iBook G4 is a lot like new, and nearly a perfect candidate...

However there isn't much to do with the iBook once it gets upgraded. Then

a new battery (while available) is a necessity; like buying fresh eggs, these.

A limited shelf life, the batteries can't really be bought ahead of time. And

unlike an egg, there is no promise of a chick anytime soon.

Since the iBook G4 (mid-2005) upgrades to 1.5GB RAM (one SO-DIMM)

over the 512MB base on-board chip, that gives it some umph, first.

Have fun, if you choose to go that way. Be sure someone qualified does it.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 1, 2014 9:56 AM in response to detour12

If you had an Intel-based MacBook the Samsung SATA SSD, as listed in your link

may have a possibility of working; but not in a PowerPC iBook or PowerBook series

where ATA/IDE (PATA) is the drive interface.

This example is for use in an ATA/IDE (PATA) computer with 2.5" size hard drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

Also you have to consider the data speed rate; that is why I posted a link to a most

likely and plausible fit to an older portable computer with 2.5" size ATA compatible.

Read the specs in the link (select an item, example: 60GB SSD there) and see.

Note the area of this page where it says what Mac portable computers the product

is compatible with; there are pictures and specs for them as well. Example 2:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDMLP060/

These are mostly likely the best fit product for such a conversion. I have an iBook G4

(mid-2005) last model and if I were to upgrade, the reference link I posted would work.

However, I also mentioned the RAM upgrade of 1024MB above the on-board amount,

as an affordable upgrade at that level. It helps and is not an involved process to do.

Mine has the RAM upgrade as stated. Sure, an SSD would make it really fast, but why?

A modern 5400 RPM 160GB 2.5" HDD could perform nicely, if you needed more storage

capacity and work space in the computer, at less cost per GB than an SSD. IF the job

were performed by an experienced technician, the project could be a novelty upgrade

to have an SSD installed. The 120GB SSD from OWC is relatively inexpensive, but to

get it done correctly would require a qualified Apple Trained service technician.

And then have an externally enclosed (FW400) hard drive for backup and to make/use

bootable full system clones; the OWC company also has fair examples for this purpose

and look for 'oxford-type' chipsets to facilitate booting OS X systems from the FireWire.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

can I put a ssd in a 2005 ibook g4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.