Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does gaming while on power adapter affect battery

I use my MacBook Air for gaming. I know the charging cycle hurts it lifespan and gaming means you have to charge it more. If I play a game while on the power adapter, will that affect the battery life, or battery lifespan in any negative way?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 1:06 PM

You can keep a Mac portable on the power adapter while it is used...the charging circuitry stops charging and goes to line-power operation when the battery is fully charged. If insufficient power is available from the charger, the Mac will supplement the power needed by using some from the battery. But doing so does not adversely affect the battery.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2014 1:06 PM in response to jake287

You can keep a Mac portable on the power adapter while it is used...the charging circuitry stops charging and goes to line-power operation when the battery is fully charged. If insufficient power is available from the charger, the Mac will supplement the power needed by using some from the battery. But doing so does not adversely affect the battery.

Jun 28, 2014 4:35 PM in response to jake287

jake287 wrote:

What do you mean line power operation? And just to be clear it doesn't affect battery negatively?

Line-power operation means the MacBook Air is connected to the power line via the charger. If the battery is fully charged, as indicated by the MagSafe connector showing the green LED, then you are operating on the power line and not the battery. If the LED shows amber then you are either charging the battery or using some battery power in addition to the line power.

That is not harmful to the battery.

Taking the MacBook Air off the power line monthly and using the battery, maybe down to 50% charge level, is good practice as it exercises the battery.

Does gaming while on power adapter affect battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.