Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i find out the DPI of a photo ?

i want to enter a photo in a 'contest' ... the rule is that the photo has to be at least 300 DPI ....

how do i determine what DPI my photo is ?

i have iPhoto 9.2.3

thank you

Donna

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 1:36 PM

6 replies

Jun 28, 2014 2:00 PM in response to léonie

i should submit my photos to them at their email (gmail) address ....

so how do i "makes sure the pixel size is sufficient for the desired print size of the photo" ??? i don't know the desired print size ... but it is for a Calendar

.... they just say it has to be more than 300 DPI ....

how do i find out the DPI of my photo ?

thank you for your help

Jun 28, 2014 2:17 PM in response to donna Pieracini

how do i find out the DPI of my photo ?

A digital image has no dpi, unless you print it. What is the pixel size of your photo? Select your photo in iPhoto and open the Info ℹ pane.

User uploaded file

It will show you the width and height of your photo in pixel below the name of the camera; in the example above the image is 3000 pixels wide. Printed at 300 dpi it will be 10 inches wide. You need to know, how large the calendar is supposed to be printed, to see, if your photo has enough pixels.

How many pixels - width and height - does your photo have?

Jun 28, 2014 2:18 PM in response to donna Pieracini

DPI has no meaning unless there's a specific print size involved. Find out what the calendar size will be in inches (the photo part) and multiply the longest dimension by 300 to get the minimum pixel dimension required for the image. For instance if the photo part of the calendar is 11 x 14 the minimum image size would be 3300 x 4200 pixels. You can submit any image that is that size or larger.

More on this can be found here: The Myth of DPI.

User uploaded file

how do i find out the DPI of a photo ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.