Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to link text frames in Pages 5.2?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 2:25 PM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2014 3:16 PM in response to newmair

The correct term in Pages is Text Boxes, and true linking is not implemented in v5.2. You can Unite, Intersect, Subtract, and Exclude multiple Text Boxes via the Arrange panel. These attributes only appear when two or more Text Boxes are selected. Also, on the Arrange menu, you will need Object Placement set to Move with Text, and the Text Wrap set to None for more accurate positioning.

In the following example, there was initially a Text Box with overflowing text that was duplicated. With both Text Boxes selected and aligned, I could then use the Unite feature from the Arrange panel. This allowed the text to flow into the second box. Selecting text in one box and dragging upwards continues the text selection between both boxes. Hoefler italic applied in one box is applied to both. Appropriately placed, another trip to the Arrange panel to enable Text Wrap around and text fit adjustments.

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2014 3:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

I just had my post removed from this discussion with the explanation stating that "it contained either product feedback or feature requests.". My post did not contain either of those, unless the definition of "product feedback" is what this entire thread is about. My post should not have been removed. It was a legitimate on-topic post. Whomever removed it can contact me personally to discuss. Oh, this leaves a very bad feeling in my stomach about the future attitude of Apple.... first dropping features, followed by months and months of silence, then discussion about that missing feature being deleted from online forums. Not cool!

Aug 21, 2014 4:10 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, I know. That's *exactly* what my previous post stated... that I used Apple's official Feedback form to let them know that my company needs this missing feature. I fail to understand what it was in my post that led the moderator to delete it.

It would be very helpful if Apple added a KnowledgeBase article about this missing feature, proving an explanation for why it was removed and a potential, rough timeline for when it might be re-added, or if it never will be. It's the silence and months of waiting that adds to the frustration.

Pages '09 is no longer officially available, so that's what makes this particular situation difficult to understand and accept. An explanation from the iWork team on this matter would put the concerns to bed immediately. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Apr 27, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Brad Purvis

Brad Purvis wrote:

You are now unable to link the new Photos to Pages '09 like you could the previous enditions of iPhoto.

> Not relevant to this thread.

Besides that, with the new Pages 5.5.3, how does one continue text from one page to the next? Certainly, there must be a way to do this.

> Use a Word Processing document. Layout can not do it in Pages 5.5.3

This has been repeatedly covered in these forums for over twenty months now.

Peter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.