Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express stops streaming music

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to set up my brand new airport express(7.6.4) to stream music from my desktop (Mac Pro 10.8.5). The setup was easy, and they work great for about 2 minutes and then the sound just stops. Airport utility (6.3.1) says they are there with an excellent connection. Anyone?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 3:38 PM

4 replies

Jul 8, 2014 12:37 PM in response to CarlAVII

I have tried everything to get this to work. I had a couple of old airport express's that worked in the exact same locations before they died. Now with these brand new units … no dice. They set up fine, they play for a minute or less and then silence. I can switch speakers (I'm using my desktop MAC) back to computer and the audio plays. I switch back to the AE and it plays again briefly and then stops again. I guess I'll just take them back to the Apple Store.

Jul 14, 2014 8:59 AM in response to ThirdEye

This problem has been resolved! By following the link in Allen's message, I connected to an Apple advisor who called me in under 30 seconds after I signed up for support. His efforts were thorough but initially unsuccessful … However, he forwarded my case to a senior Apple advisor who accurately troubleshot the issue and made it work. He explained that the airport base station can transmit in either 2.4 Ghz or 5.6 Ghz. By renaming my network in Airport Utility, we were able to force it to use the 2.4 Ghz network which immediately solved the issue. Apparently the base station thought the 5.6 was the better connection but it had some (still unexplained) interference on it which caused the transmission to cut out after a brief connection.

Wow! Couldn't be happier with this ending … thanks Apple!

Tommy

Airport Express stops streaming music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.