Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery charges for a little bit...then it stops charging and won't do anything

I have an old PowerBook G4 (Titanium 867MHz) and I have three batteries for it. One works great, but the other doesn't want to charge right.

It is a genuine Apple battery. I was given an older, broken PowerBook that I later fixed (Titanium 550MHz). The previous owner said the battery wouldn't charge. However, it seemed to charge when I put it in my PowerBook. To my surprise, after a few minutes, the menu bar said "Charging" and the lights came on (on the battery) and 1 was flashing (that means almost empty AFAIK). I have CoconutBattery so I can monitor the charging.

Then, all of the sudden, the menu bar changes to the plug icon and says "Not Charging." The battery is nowhere near full.

In CoconutBattery it says the battery is at 170 mAh and maxes out at 63202 mAh. (Calculation error?)

The power plug still glows orange indicating that it's attempting to charge it.

When I remove and reinsert the battery, it changes from green to orange again.

When I put it into the system it came with (the old PowerBook that I fixed), it doesn't appear to charge either.

I'm using a 45W adapter. It charges the other battery just fine. But I'll try my 65W non-Apple adapter.

I'm baffled as to why it would suddenly cease to charge.

I've had it do this before, as I put the battery in at 0 and it charged to 65 mAh and then stopped. I ran the battery to 0 by unplugging it and leaving it.

Is there any way to force Mac OS X to charge the battery? It definitely has juice and life in it because it DID charge.

Otherwise, can I make the battery work?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 4:19 PM

1 reply

Battery charges for a little bit...then it stops charging and won't do anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.