8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2014 11:30 AM by mac midiguy
mac midiguy Level 1 (60 points)

I replaced a 3200GB HitachiI  Deskstar drive in my  MacAlly model PHR-S100SUA FireWire/USB 2.0 enclosure with a brand new seagate barracuda 1 TB drive.

However it does not show up on the desktop of my iMac 3.06 GHz Intel OS X version 10.9.3.

The 320 GB drive worked perfectly but i needed more GB's storage space.

What do i do to mount the Seagate. Disk Utility and Disk Warrior do not "see" it.

Please help. Please note that this is my first time ever for doing this. I thought it was a simple unplug/remove then install and plug in the power and data cords for the new drive.

• Mike Sombrio Level 6 (14,856 points)

in order to use the drive you need to partition and format it for use with your Mac. http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

But if the drive isn't showing up in Disk Utility you either have a bad drive, a problem with the enclosure or a bad cable.

• mac midiguy Level 1 (60 points)

Thanks for your interest/reply to my problem.

I used a different firewire cable and that brought a response whereby I could use Disk Utilities to Partition the Seagate drive.  However the partition failed with the error: Disk object invalid or unable to serialize.
    At this point the drive is no longer recognized by Disk Utility.

Now what can I do ?

HHave you tried it with a USB cable instead?

Good suggestion. I just tried with a USB cable and Disk Utilities  pops the message file "Disk erase failed with the error message:  system formatter failed. "

Bad, Bad disk ?

Heading down to my local Staples store for a replacement of this $90. hard drive. Most unusual because this is the second Seagate that has gone bad for me.  The first was a Apple recall on my iMac's 1TB internal hard drive not too long ago.

Geezz, I had a Apple/Seagate 2GB that lasted 18 years in my 8500 PowerMac that went thru some heavy duty usage.  So, it's true, they just don't make them the way they used to.

BBad disk I'd guess. Seagate isn't what they used to be.

First let me say thank you Mike Sombrio for providing me your help/advice and having the patience to follow my postings.

Staples gave me another drive after they confirmed it was bad.  I don't know why they would worry about that since Seagate has a one year warranty since the drive i bought was not even one week old. However the Staples tech guy said that on their system's  iMac it indicates the enclosure is bad or wonky. ( Their system check means the drive does not show up on the desktop. )

After coming home and reviewing my purchase documents for all my three MacAlly SATA/FireWire/USB drives there was one incident of MacAlly replacing the power cord. I completely forgot about that. Now if all power cords are the same for these three drives I will try a different chord.

Since MacAlly seems to be out of business i wonder if i could get a replacement power chord at a RadioShack/Source outlet ?

• MichelPM Level 6 (11,344 points)

Macally is NOT out of business.

http://macally.com/

http://www.macally.com/EN/

Thank you kindly. For some crazy reason my FireFox/Goggle never saw those sites or i may have typed in the wrong info.

Glad you told me. They still sell/carry the same FireWire/USB 2 enclosure i have been using for at least 5 years.

Plan on ordering another one thru their web store for shipment to Canada.

Model PHR-S100SUA Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB 2.0 Storage Enclosure For 3.5" SATA HDD