Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe doesn't light up, even after SMC reset

Hi,

I've been having difficulties with the Magsafe in my Macbook Air. I plug it and it may or may not light up. When it doesn't light up, the battery doesn't charge. I have to unplug it plug it again several times before it eventually works.

I've tried resetting the SMC following the link below:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

I read that you're supposed to see the Magsafe light blink when SMC reset works properly. If that is the case, then resetting is probably *not* working, because I don't see anything happening.

In particular, if the Magsafe is not lighting up, it remains off after I try to reset the SMC.

Is there any other thing I could try to get rid of this very annoying intermittence?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 7:28 PM

2 replies

Jun 28, 2014 7:32 PM in response to maurofrompe

See:Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters to start, if the MagSafe connector and charger seem ok, try to get a different charger to use so you can see that the charger is ok.

Also, go to the apple left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, More Info, System Report, Hardware, Power and what does it show about the battery condition, cycle count, capacity? Lower down, under AC Adapter Information, does it show the charger information, that is, the model and power output?

Magsafe doesn't light up, even after SMC reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.