Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with G4 Cube and OSX 10.4.11 Server

I have a G4 Cube (450 MHz, DVD-ROM) that is running Mac OS 9.2.2. Recently, I tried to install Mac OS 10.4 Server, and the installation went without a hitch. However, after updating the software to 10.4.11 with DVD Player 4.x and Safari 3, multiple problems have arisen. Software Update will not recognize any more updates (I have 10.4.11 on my Powerbook G4 Titanium, and there are numerous other updates that should be coming through), whenever Safari starts it feeds the error message "There is a problem saving your bookmarks. Safari encountered a problem while saving your bookmarks." 4 times in a row and does not create a new browsing window, and whenever I mouse over the dock, none of the hovering application names appear. In addition, when I loaded activity monitor, it claimed that 513 MB of the 1 GB of memory available were inactive. I have not tried any applications past settings, activity monitor, and safari, but I am sure there are other problems to it. I have reset the PRAM twice, and the hard drive is not stock. It uses a Western Digital WD200 5400 RPM drive which is proven to be good. Could this just be a bad install, or could it be related to the hardware?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 11:42 PM

1 reply

Jun 29, 2014 7:53 AM in response to MisterDrak

Sounds like a muxed install, was this fresh install, or ove a previous install?

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or an errant process eating up RAM.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Problem with G4 Cube and OSX 10.4.11 Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.