Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stuck in single user mode OS 10.2.8

I forgot the admin password for this old iMac and can't find the system disk. So I started up in single user mode by turning on power, after chime pressing command, then S and holding until type began to come up on screen. When cursor stopped after "sh-2.05a#" I typed in "/sbin/mount -uw /" and return (no, I didn't see where it said to do fsck -y first). Computer came back with "sh-2.05a#" so i typed in "passwd" and username for account to change, return. Cursor on blank line, typed new password, return. New blank line, typed new password, return. New blank line, typed reboot, return. New blank line and nothing happening. Tried reboot again. Nothing happening. Just getting new blank lines no matter what I type. What is best to do now?

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 10:20 PM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2014 4:00 PM in response to a brody

Thank you for the response. Data isn't an issue - I moved that to a newer computer some time ago. I just wanted to use the old computer for word processing and can actually do that through one of the user desktops. But it would be nice to have access to my desktop (the only admin), which is why I was trying to change the password.

I was "stuck" in the sense of not knowing what was safe to do next. Hoping there would be no damage, I turned the computer off. When powered back on, it seemed to start up normally to the log in screen and I could log into one of the other desktops.

I would still like to change the password. If I go back in and start with /sbin/fsck -fy, would that put me on the right track?

I don't know if it makes any difference, but this is one of the early iMacs running both system nine and system ten.

stuck in single user mode OS 10.2.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.