Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I switch to an external monitor on boot without OS?

I have a cracked screen and I freshly formatted the hard drive on Windows (So basically, my MAC has no OS but I have an installer). Will I be able to switch to an external monitor on boot so I could see the OS installation well? if so, how do I switch?

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 4:54 AM

6 replies

Jun 29, 2014 5:12 AM in response to thejamesdude

Not in a position to test this exactly right now so I am just speculating.
IF this is possible, it should just be a matter of connecting your external display prior to booting, then booting the computer up (I suppose into the recovery partition, or an install disk). Since the computer recognizes the built in display and doesn't know its cracked, it will still display on there (unless you go into clamshell mode by closing the computer after it loads up the external display). I don't know if it will default to mirroring or extending.

Again, that is if it will work. Without an OS installed, I am not sure how it will behave.

Can I switch to an external monitor on boot without OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.