Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playing .vob files on my mac

I have a sony camcorder that creates files in .vob format. How can I play these on my mac?

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 6:56 AM

Use the DVD Player app.

8 replies

Jun 29, 2014 7:33 AM in response to rjkdayton

I have a sony camcorder that creates files in .vob format. How can I play these on my mac?

Depends on the media player and/or the Mac OS X system you are using.

1) VLC will normally play VOB files under any version of Mac OS X. VLC also natively supports AC3 DD5.1 passthrough if you have a decoder connected to your system.

2) QT X v10.3 under the current version of Mavericks now recognizes the VOB extension and can play "muxed" MPEG-2/AC3 files natively.

3) Older QT X media players which do not recognize the VOB extension can usually play such files if you change the extension to MPG, MPEG, or TS at the Finder level.

4) QT 7 based media players like QT 7 and MPEG Streamclip can play the MPEG-2 video if you have the Apple MPEG-2 Playback component installed but only MPEG Streamclip plays the AC3 natively but may have a problem with PCM audio and QT 7 may or may not play this audio depending on its type and how your system is configured.

5) As QT Kirk indicated the Apple DVD Player may play VOB files if it thinks they are on DVD media. This media player also intrinsically supports AC3 DD5.1 passthrough audio.

6) Most third-party Mac Blu-ray software player variations will also play VOB content.

7) Apple's Front Row app included on older MAC OS X systems should play VOB files.

8) Some third-party video management apps (e.g., Usher) also include a preview player that can handle VOB files.

Your biggest problem will likely be trying to decide which workflow is best suited to your particular needs because there are so many options here.

User uploaded file

May 27, 2015 4:21 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks for advice. DVD player app does the trick for me on Mavericks. After copying my DVDs to an external HDD, I can play the VOB files like a charm with DVD player on my MBP.

playing .vob files on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.