Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate from mavericks server - old to new machine

Hi,

A simple task - you would think?

I would like to migrate from my old Mavericks server to my new one. My old server is mac mini that's three years old - my new server is top of the range SSD mac mini, fastest I could buy. Both are running Mavericks server, both are up to date, my working data on the older server is on the system drive ( I just moved it back from HD02 to HD01). Now, as an ex windows man, now a mac man of 4 years (and a person who preaches mac to anyone who wants an easy life) - you think this would be as easy as a click of a nice (mac style) button...

What I have tried...

Time machine (Apple R at boot) - both local (fire-wire) and network - Directory services no longer work, neither does mail. I can fiddle with command line but what do I put? (and why cant I have a nice mac button that does it all?).

NOTE - I turned off networking on the older machine once the new machine boots after TM or TDM (my new machine is on the same network) as you would think that it would also take's on the fixed IP? i.e. a proper full restore...

Target disk mode, again, same as above.

What I am doing wrong? Having spent over £1000 on a new super fast mac mini server I feel that the backup and migrate options are not as simple as made out. I called Apple care as well, I paid for this with the new (and old) server, and spoke to a chap who said time machine 'should work"...

My ideal solution, back up the older server, switch it off, and install on new server, all mac style, with simple buttons to click that work... 60 mins tops and I would be back by the pool... Is this a wish to far?

Maybe Super Duper could be the answer?

Any suggestions to keep my Apple easy life - just that - easy - would be much appreciated...

Take care

Dan

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 10:28 AM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2014 12:54 PM in response to Dan-Grenada

⌘R at boot is the Recovery Partition. It's intended as a way to fix or reinstall the "normal" boot partition. It doesn't and won't run much beyond the base OS X environment; it's intended to be minimal.

As errant DNS causes all sorts of errors with OS X Server, berify local DNS with the following sequence. Launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities, and issue the following harmless, diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You'll be prompted for your administrative password, might see a one-time message about the use of sudo, then some configuration data, and then an indication that no changes are required, or that there are network or DNS errors. Do not use .arpa and do not use .local as your OS X Server DNS domain. You won't be able to successfully utilize DNS servers off your NAT'd network here; servers in the public network won't return IP address translations for hosts with private IP addresses behind NAT boxes.

Jun 30, 2014 8:42 AM in response to MrHoffman

Dear Mr Hoffman,

I ran the Sudo changeip -checkhostname command, and got the message that no changes are required...

I run the server on a fixed IP, with the relevant services being opened on a (cable connected internet connection) Apple Airport Extreme. Mail, Calendar, Directory Services, Profile Manager, etc. all work fine (inside and outside the network).

I think I will try the following and wonder if you have any advice?

1. Do a backup of the old machine (Time Machine) using an attached USB hard drive.
  2. Turn this old machine off (to avoid IP clash with new machine)
  3. Reload Mavericks (fresh install) onto the new mac mini server using the ⌘R at boot option, first erasing the system data drive with Disk Util
  4. Apply the UBS Time Machine backup to the new machine, again using the ⌘R at boot option

Then check to see what settings/services are not working...

A couple of questions...

• Should I turn off Directory Services / Mail - on the old machine before the Time Machine backup? Will this close any open files that may be causing the problem.
  • I upgraded the old machine to Mavericks from server 10.8, this went fine. Maybe this is causing the issues?
  • Maybe there is a better way for me to take over old server settings, could I - for instance - copy the relevant directory (/Library/Server) over to the new basic Mavericks machine, then install server app?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Take care

Dan

Jun 30, 2014 11:55 AM in response to Dan-Grenada

If you're going to install from Time Machine, boot the recovery partition and reinstall from there — no need to reload Mavericks, let the recovery partition do that.

I'd shut off all services prior to your "final" Time Machine backup. I'd probably get a second backup, but then I'm fond of having extra copies of data around.

OS X Server upgrades have been a mixed bag for some years, unfortunately. They often work. They can sometimes and inexplicably go sideways or toes up or walkabout. I've had any number of successes, and a few salient failures. There are a number of folks here that will prefer a fresh install and to then migrate in the data rather than an upgrade, because of these experiences, and because you should get the "new" environment and not an environment that was upgraded.

Jul 2, 2014 12:24 PM in response to MrHoffman

Dear Mr Hoffman,

Having read your response, I have to decided to install a fresh Mavericks server install on the new machine, which I would like to set up, with all the relevant data - then make on-line when its ready (turning off the old server first). I agree with the idea its best not to take old defunct data over from the old server, best starting afresh... If you have experience in this I would be grateful if you can point me in the right direction. A couple of points so far...

1. I have one internal network, with my working server on IP ending .254... I have set the new server with IP ending .253 for configuring it - before making it go live (and changing the IP to .254). My old server has the host name server.com, my new one has the name maveriks.server.com (I will take off the mavericks prefix before it goes live).

2. Can I set up all services on the new server (DNS is currently running fine) - such as Open Directory, users, mail (correcting mail addresses if they are guessed incorrectly by the server app), etc. - then - just alter the host name as above before changing over?

I would like to get as much sorted on the new server so when I do make the switch, its just an IP and host name change (but don't want the host name change to mess any of these pre-configured services up).

Many thanks for any help in advance...

Dan

Jul 14, 2014 3:17 AM in response to Dan-Grenada

Update...

I bit the bullet and did a fresh Mavericks server install, (took old server off line first so I could use the same IP) - Mavericks/Server install went like a dream (its so much easier now, a few less things to tweak yes, but quicker and more refined). Yes, I had to re-enter all my users, but this way I don't copy all the dead data from my old (many times upgraded) server (prefer this method to using the Workgroup Manager export/import option which can save this chore) . Used the iBook "Mavericks Server by Reid Bundonis" to walk me though - what I thought I knew (and I didn't - so a MUST read for every new server install - brilliant book). Mail is super fast now, as are all the other services... A hint for anyone doing this - don't skip the DNS bit, get this right and test - then retest - then once its right, the rest is - well - child's play...

Oh, using Apple's SSD's as main and data drives on new mac mini server - how fast? - super - super fast... (and cooler running).

Now for my next task, dump the works MS Exh Serv (which consumes 300W plus power) and replace with another Mac Mini - power saving alone will pay for the new mac in a year or so...

Onwards and upwards ;-)

Dan

migrate from mavericks server - old to new machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.