Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple all in one computer's keyboard not working

I wasn't sure what board to put this under.

My wife's Apple All-In-One computer's keyboard keeps failing. It's a wired keyboard... she was having trouble with her wireless keyboard not working, so she bought one with a wire. What happens is this: She turns on the PC, and the keyboard does not work, none of the keys respond. After many attempts rebooting, shutting off, turning on, plugging it into a different slot, eventually, the keyboard works again. This is not a case of certain keys not working... either all of them work or none of them work. Then, after much frustration getting it to work, sometimes spending hours struggling with it, the next time she comes to the computer, it has automatically shut off for some reason, and the same thing happens all over again. We brought it to the Apple Store "Geniuses," but of course, that was one of the times that shutting it off and on and replugging it in actually worked, and they said, there's no problem. And, of course, when we got home again, it didn't work again and we had to keep turning it off and on and switching which slot it's plugged in until it eventually works. We can't even look at anything to see what's going on because, without the keyboard working, we can't enter the password to get onto the computer... and once the keyboard is working, well, it's working, so there's no way to see what the problem is because at that moment there isn't a problem.

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 8:59 AM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2014 4:34 AM in response to CharlieVers

Apple has released many machines known as All-in-one. Is it an iMac, eMac, or the old beige All-in-one unit from the 1990s?

Mac OS 9, which this forum is for is for an operating system that dates back to 2005 or earlier.

Wireless keyboards weren't really that commonplace until the 2000s. I would when it is not working temporarily turn on auto-login so there is no password.
It would really help to know your operating system in Apple menu -> About This Mac.

Apple all in one computer's keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.