Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer files to powerbook 540c

How can I transfer files to powerbook 540c

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 10:35 AM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2014 1:38 PM in response to SG1776

If you can get the data on floppy disks, then copy directly to folders on the 540c.

You could use a SCSI connected Zip 100 drive if you have OS 7 or above.

Possibly an ethernet connection to another Mac.

If you have the PCMCIA module you can transfer data with PC cards.

Lastly a compatible external CD ROM drive can be connected through SCSI port.

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2014 7:21 AM in response to dalstott

Part of my query was omitted. From a 2006 Intel G5(G4?) iMac iSight to a mid-1990s PB540c (OS7.6), I want to transfer pdf and Tex-Edit files.

My iMac gets online via its Ethernet port. Im confused by port specs but each has a physically different Ethernet port. Ive got old

cables, adaptors, etc. but dont know exactly what I have. The PB's trackpad is twitchy so I use an external mouse to the ADB port.

If a iMac-PB link is impossible, I could use a flash drive (or Firewire?) to transfer files from the iMac to my G4 Quicksilver. And I may have

the correct SCSI cables to transfer files from the G4QS to the PB. But then I would need to hook up my unused G4QS. And iMac-PB would

be simpler if possible. Advice?

Jun 30, 2014 1:21 PM in response to SG1776

Hi,

The PowerBook 540c has an AAUI Ethernet port. In order to use this port with standard cables, an AAUI to RJ-45 adapter (such as the Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver Model M0437) is needed. It is then possible to connect the PB 540c to another computer (or the Internet) via the LAN ports of a normal router.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA640/en_US/PowerBook_500series_UserGuid e.pdf

However, please note that it can be difficult to configure two computers for file sharing beacuse of operating system differences. One generic solution can be to use an FTP server on one of the computers (one can then connect to the server from the other machine using a dedicated FTP client or a standard web browser). An FTP client can push files as well. There is a free FTP server (NetPresenz) available for System 7.x, but that means that you would have to be able to at least transfer small files to the PB 540c to begin with (for example, on floppy disks).

The TCP/IP software is part of the System 7.6 Open Transport networking.

A small text-based web browser (WannaBe) can be useful on the PB 540c (for HTTP downloads from the Internet).

If you have access to an older Windows PC with a floppy drive, that computer could be used for certain (initial) transfers. Please post back if additional information would be of interest.

Jan

Jul 7, 2014 5:58 PM in response to SG1776

>Ethenet adaptor: I dont want to spend money.

A used AAUI to RJ-45 transceiver could probably be found in the price range USD 5 to 20 through an auction site.

>I also have a Mac 8600 w/AAUI and 10BASE-T Ethernet jacks.

Without a transceiver for the PB 540c, the Power Macintosh 8600 may be used as an intermediary. The connection between the 8600 and the PB 540c could be a plain MiniDIN-8M to MiniDIN-8M Macintosh printer cable (LocalTalk networking). Alternatively, it would be possible to use floppy disks between these two computers. Also, with the correct cable/adapter, a connection with the PB 540c operating as an external hard drive in SCSI Disk Mode (see the manual) could be established.

Jan

transfer files to powerbook 540c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.