Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Reduce Total Bytes Written (TBW)

I just replaced my damage HD (original HD) to my MBP 2009 unibody. So far, I like the SSD drive, and I use it for my internal storage. I've been read a fews article online, but it seems I don't find the answer. My concern is, How do I reduce TBW on SSD? if I play video (like youtube, Netflix, or Hulu) or play online games, would it be increase my TBW? So far, I set up my download file to my external HD. Whenever I download file, application, or etc, it would go to my external HD. Second question, What can I do to lower the use of SSD? Therefore, my SSD will last long like 3-5 years perhaps. Third question, since Samsung Magician Software can't run on MBP. How do I check my TBW and the health of my SSD?

Thank you 🙂

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 1:04 PM

6 replies

Jun 29, 2014 3:18 PM in response to Quashie

The single best thing you can do for your SSD to prolong its life and keep it fast and responsive is to install TRIM Enabler. This will allow it to manage its own free space effectively, because Mac OS X will then notify it when blocks are deleted, allowing it to re-use that space. Otherwise it chokes on the deleted data and dies.

I use the free version of TRIM Enabler available from here:

http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

The "pay" version has additional measurement features, which you can add at any time by coughing up the about US$10.

--------

This User Tip discusses organizing your drives the way the new Black cylinder mac Pro does --putting all User files on a secondary drive:

User Tip: Creating a lean, fast Boot Drive

Jun 29, 2014 3:54 PM in response to Quashie

TRIM Enabler makes a similar (possibly even identical) patch. It allows you to conveniently turn TRIM on and off. With the manual patch, un-installing and re-installing is more cumbersome.

Mac OS X contains over 250,000 files. I do not think you need to be concerned about installing one more. TRIM Enabler install a Launch Daemon, but not an intrusive kernel extension.

Jun 30, 2014 6:33 PM in response to Quashie

That is a very interesting question. Both of those hacks work by patching a small piece of code so that it "forgets" to check for Apple brand SSDs, and allows TRIM for every SSD. TRIM Enabler is supposed to automatically "put back" the un-patched version when you turn it off. (that is one feature that makes it superior to hand-patching.)

But it you install it on a System you have hand-patched (but not un-patched) the version that will be set aside will be the hand-patched version, and that is what will be "put back" when you turn TRIM Enabler off. So they do not interfere with each other, but the results may not be exactly as expected in the case I mention.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Reduce Total Bytes Written (TBW)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.