Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two OSX systems on one partioned drive.

I have installed two OSX 10.6 (one a 10.6.6 and one a 10.6.8) operating systems on a partitioned disk (the one terabyte drive in my iMac (2.7 GHz ) Intel Core i5) computer.

I was having problems with the first install; and it would just spin the propeller forever and not boot up. So I installed a old version of 10.6.6 from the instal disk. It did not ask for a name to be the Administrator and I assumed the old Administrator would be the same. It's not. It boots up in the second install but I can not use the install disk to boot up when I hold down "C" on the keyboard. If I could get back to the first OSX 10.6.8 I could use the utilities to erase the whole disk ( I have backed up on an external drive) reinstall the OSX and use the old Administrators pass word to change everything. Anyone have some solutions. The Mac is usable but I can't update or change anything requiring an Administrator password or name. I have tried every name on my password page, nothing works.

I haven't updated to maverick because I have old software that I can't afford to update right now so I am stuck in 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

I am frustrated.

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 3:43 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Riding Donald J

Firstly, 10.6.6 is a special version of OS X intended only to work on the model with which it came pre-installed. If it's not for your computer, then it will not work properly even though it may install OK.

I suggest you erase the partition which has the non-functioning system installed. Either reinstall it or better yet use that partition on which to install Mavericks and the other partition will run 10.6.8.

Jun 29, 2014 9:45 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

Thank you for the reply, but I have tried many times to boot off of the install disc that came with the iMac (came with 10.6.6 installed).

The computer ignores the "C" pressed key command and just reboots into 10.6.6 instead of the instal disc. So I am not able to remove the partician. Also my passwords and Apple ID don't work at all but they still do on the iPad.

If I tried to install Maverick from the cloud will it still ask for a Administrators name and password? If so that wonk work. Do you know any way to reveal the Administrators password or a Generic password possibly from Apple that would work?

Do I need the Administrators password to uninstall the Partition?

Jun 29, 2014 10:04 PM in response to Riding Donald J

No, you don't need it to repartition the drive. Do you have any sort of bootable backup? See the following about resetting an admin password:

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

Learn More

Jul 1, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy

Thank you for all you help. I did learn a lot about problem solving on my Mac. I wished it was that easy on the laptop PC I have. I think I will replace it with an Apple.

I was able to boot while holding down the "Option" key and that brought up the screen where it accepted my administrators password and it allowed me to then boot off of the installation disc, format the whole drive and repartition the drive add 10.6 back on to the small patrician and 10.9 to the other patrician and now I am a happy Mac camper. Thank you for your help and experience. I have also saved all the directions you gave me for future use.

Thank uou

Don....

Two OSX systems on one partioned drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.