Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is integer mode?

This seems to be a 'good' thing to use but what precisely is it?

JJ

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 11:03 PM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2014 1:18 PM in response to MrHoffman

From what little I do understand, Integer Mode seems to be a 'resource' within the Mac OS 'tool kit'. In my case what prompted me to ask is, it can be used by a digital music player as an option.

It was available in 10.6 and was brought back in 10.9.

Here is a quick explanation from the support forum for the music player (JRiver - Media Center)

"OSX 10.9 restores the ability of a sound application to deliver data in the physical format of the DAC. This ability is often referred to as "integer mode". OSX 10.6 and earlier had this ability, but it was removed in 10.7 and 10.8. In those versions, audio was always delivered in 32-bit floating point and changed to the physical format of the device by the operating system."

I ask because it seems to have something to do with the routing of the digital stream that is sent to the usb port.

JJ

Jun 30, 2014 1:41 PM in response to johnjen325

That stuff looks roughly akin to what's called "raw mode" available in some digital cameras.

This access allows allows software applications running on OS X specific access into the audio data stream, and access which probably won't provide a noticeable difference for the vast majority of listeners, nor to the vast majority of audio packages that are reading and processing that audio data. Maybe not even then, for that matter — based on what I am finding posted around the net on this topic, I'm somewhat skeptical around the general value of this feature.

Here's a discussion.

FWIW, there are more than a few tests of various folks listening to data recorded at different bit rates, and those are well worth reviewing. Run some of your own tests, using the audio gear that you have or that you are planning to have, too. See what works for you — that's what really matters here, after all.

Jun 30, 2014 8:08 PM in response to johnjen325

from their FAQ

Integer playback puts the hardware into an unmixable state. In this state, other system processing like volume will be disabled.

so this could explain what you are seeing.

In addition there is this

Both playback methods are bit-perfect, and bit-perfect methods sound the same.

so Integer mode is not necessary. The sound will be the same.

What is integer mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.