Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer fotos from Aperture to new mac

Hi community

I want to transfer my fotos and videos from Aperture on my old mac, to a new mac. I have tried to create a vault on an external drive, and then open it from Aperture on my new mac, but nothing happens when I open the vault - a new library is available, but no fotos/videos.

Then I have tried to export some on my projects as a new library, and this works. I can open the fotos, but a lot of fotos/videos now have a small yellow triangle in the right corner. The videos that have this triangle will not play in Aperture, whereas the videos without this triangle are ok.

In short, none of these solutions have resulted in a trustworthy transfer from old to new mac. Do anyone in here have a suggestion on what to do?

Br

/Sune

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 12:45 AM

Vaults do not include referenced images.

Do you have a referenced library? The originals not stored in the Aperture library, but referenced outside? Then you need to include the originals by consolidating them, before you transfer the library.

Then do the following:

• On your old Mac:
    • Don't create a vault to transfer, but copy your entire Aperture library from your old Mac to your external drive to transfer it.
    • Open the copied Aperture library on your old Mac, by double-clicking it.
    • Select all images at once in the "Photos" view and use the command "File > Consolidate Originals". When the panel pops up, select to "Copy", not to move. This will copy the originals into your copied library.
    • Now eject the drive and connect otto your new mac.
  • On your new Mac:

Connect the drive and open the copied library by double-clicking. Did this solve the problem with the yellow warning badges?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2014 12:45 AM in response to Son9 Saf10

Vaults do not include referenced images.

Do you have a referenced library? The originals not stored in the Aperture library, but referenced outside? Then you need to include the originals by consolidating them, before you transfer the library.

Then do the following:

• On your old Mac:
    • Don't create a vault to transfer, but copy your entire Aperture library from your old Mac to your external drive to transfer it.
    • Open the copied Aperture library on your old Mac, by double-clicking it.
    • Select all images at once in the "Photos" view and use the command "File > Consolidate Originals". When the panel pops up, select to "Copy", not to move. This will copy the originals into your copied library.
    • Now eject the drive and connect otto your new mac.
  • On your new Mac:

Connect the drive and open the copied library by double-clicking. Did this solve the problem with the yellow warning badges?

Jul 8, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Son9 Saf10

I get an error message when I try to import my Aperture Library to my new mac.

Importing a library into another library will temporarily need considerably more disk space then the combined sizes of the libraries.

Do you really need to import the library into another library on your new Mac? I thought, you just need to transfer the library. Then copying the library to the Pictures folder on your new Mac and double-clicking it to open it in Aperture should suffice.

Transfer fotos from Aperture to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.