Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the thunderbolt display reliable?

I consider to buy a thunderbold display, but I found plenty of complaints about backlit failures of the display with extreme repair costs. This seems to be a generic design issue of this monitor.

I'm interested if Apple made any change to the monitor preventing from such damages in future? If so, how can I recognize if I buy a "good" part?

I'm not sure if this information is available in the community, but I didn't find any support number to ask Apple directly if I don't have a serial number of a product yet.... (And if I have this number, it's too late)

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 2:33 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2014 1:27 PM in response to ChristofM

I've had mine for about a year and one-half now (and I did purchase the AppleCare 3 year warranty). I haven't had a problem with it. I use a Spyder4Elite to calibrate it and it has a pretty wide gamut and is easily calibrated.

Everyone is speculating whether or not there will be a new TB display coming out anytime soon - the speculation is useless. Of course a new display will be coming from Apple at some time, but if it's to be a simple upgrade to the current display or a much more expensive 4K display, no one can really say.

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB RAM, 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Jun 30, 2014 7:09 PM in response to ChristofM

Thank you for your answers ! I scanned all the customer reviews for this monitor and there's definitively something wrong with it. Plenty of users worldwide claim defects between 1 and 2 years of usage. If I spend so much money for a monitor, I expect that it's absolutely perfect. I don't want to worry when it will fail. Therefore I'll only decide for it if I can find any hint that Apple made a change to it to fix the trouble.

Any 4K successor would be anyway no solution for me as I have the late 2012 i7 based Mac Mini which is obviously not capable of 4K. My selection is only Apple or non-Apple monitor...

Jul 8, 2014 7:47 AM in response to ChristofM

Right now, I'm working on the previous version of the display; the LED Display. I had a Thunderbolt Display -- ordered it the first day I could -- which worked flawlessly up until a mother nature issue (ironically, it was damaged by a nearby lightning strike). I bypassed replacing it with the same model -- this was August 2013, and I thought that surely a new Thunderbolt Display was about to be announced. The TB Display was originally released in 2011 and, with the pending release of the Mac Pro, surely Apple would release a new model/version.

Nope.

We're now over 1000 days since the release of the Thunderbolt Display with no update in sight. It's still got USB2. Still got FW800 (good for many, I'm sure; I've had to hook up a legacy device once or twice).

To answer your question; it's reliable. Like I said, I'm working on the version released prior to the Thunderbolt Display, the LED Cinema Display. It's a little dimmer than I like but it still works w/o issue. My previous model (going two Apple Display purchases back), another Cinema Display, is still in use by a friend without problems. And my display before that -- the 30" Apple sold some time back -- is still being used by the friend who bought it.

Their product builds are top-notch, and they insist on the cream of the crop from their suppliers. Apple makes excellent displays. When they feel like making them.

Jul 12, 2014 8:06 AM in response to ChristofM

ChristofM wrote:

Therefore I'll only decide for it if I can find any hint that Apple made a change to it to fix the trouble.

You're not going to find any information about whether Apple has altered its production process.

However, if there was a production problem causing faulty batches at some point, you can bet that Apple is not going to sit tight and ignore it.

I've bought a TB Display recently, and I couldn't be happier with it. If it develops a hardware fault at any time in the next few years, I can take it back for a refund.

Is the thunderbolt display reliable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.