Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI-adapter

I recently bought this ultra expensive adapter and Im curious what the USB input does and what I could plug in there?

I couldn't find this info on the internet so I'm trying my luck here.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 1:46 AM

The adapter's USB cable plugs into the computer to provide power for the adapter.

Apple DVI displays have a USB cable that plugs into the USB port on the adapter to provide computer control of display brightness and for the USB ports on the back of the display.

If you are using a non-Apple display, you could use the adapter's USB port for another USB device if the device has its own power supply and does not need to get power via USB. (The adapter is using all the USB power.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2014 1:46 AM in response to spjuver555

The adapter's USB cable plugs into the computer to provide power for the adapter.

Apple DVI displays have a USB cable that plugs into the USB port on the adapter to provide computer control of display brightness and for the USB ports on the back of the display.

If you are using a non-Apple display, you could use the adapter's USB port for another USB device if the device has its own power supply and does not need to get power via USB. (The adapter is using all the USB power.)

Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI-adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.