Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed start up - 100% need erase drive ?

I have been taken through safe start up (shift key) and reboot(?)/disk utility start up (alt key) over the phone with Apple staff.

On second attempt, safe start still didn't work.

On first attempt, disk utility said I needed to erase the hard drive and re-install (I have a time machine back up).

On second attempt, disk utility said my hard drive was fine. I tried restarting after this , but the original problem re-occured : an endless loading circle, never leaving the gray screen and loading symbol on start up.

I am happy to take it in to a genius bar , but don't need to if I 100% need to delete and re-install, as I can do this.

Have I missed something to check? Do i need a genuis bar?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 5:59 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2014 6:04 AM in response to TLewes

There is probably something pretty messed up on the hard drive, the operating system files, giving such erratic behavior. If you followed the instructions of the Apple on-line support techs and got to the point of erase/install, did you try a boot from the DVD/CD and then use Disk Utility to Repair Disk? That cannot hurt things. And it might just cleanup the file system glitch. If not, then the erase and install and restore of applications from the TM backup should help.

Failed start up - 100% need erase drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.