Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone make distributed processing work?

I have two high-spec iMacs, connected via Thunderbolt and ethernet. I go through the Compressor set up for group transcoding, tried many different settings combinations - it NEVER uses the second machine in the transcode.

Episode Pro on same machines does it no problem. Has anyone got this working in Compressor?

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 6:54 AM

17 replies

Jun 30, 2014 2:44 PM in response to happysailor

I haven't tried with the 4.1 versions because the only machine I could test it with is running an earlier OS/ It's purposely frozen in that state and will be some time before it's upgraded. I have considered installing 10.9 on an external drive with a FCP X and Compressor and booting from that. If I have the time I'll try it and post the results.

In the meantime, I hope someone else will have some theories on why your processing setup isn't working and chime in.

Finally, just to add I think a lot of folks have taken the simpler route and opted for multiple instances to speed up their work.

Russ

Jun 30, 2014 3:07 PM in response to happysailor

I have has all sorts of issues.

I have settled on static IP addresses
I disable auto file sharing and manually connect my portable to my IMac hard drives using the "connect to server" function.

This has been the stablest configuration for me, and works because my portable is next to my Imac.

It has been a difficult to get the distributed processing to work.

Can anyone make distributed processing work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.