Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get min function in Numbers to ignore 0's

I am a Novice to Numbers and really spread sheets in general. I am trying to get my spreadsheet to give me the smallest temperature reading for a weeks worth of readings. The cells I am querying are pulled from other sheets and represent as a "0" if there is no data. I want to be able to ignore empty or "0" cells and still get the smallest temperature. Can anyone out there help me out?

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 10:29 AM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

I tried something very much like this and it did not work. For some reason (almost certainly user error) when I set the "0" values to represent as nothing it still counts them as zeros for the purpose of getting the smallest number anyway. So the output I get is "blank" instead of "0", but it still does not show me the right number.

Jul 4, 2014 6:15 AM in response to Gidian9

Hi Gidian,

Jerry's solution works for me. What are you doing that is different?

User uploaded file

Formula in A2 of Table 2 (and Fill Down):

=IF(LEN(Table 1::A2)>0, Table 1::A2, "")

If you move a table to a different sheet, the formulas will automatically adjust to include the sheet name, as in Jerry's example.

Formula in A8 of Table 2 (a Footer Row)

=MIN(A)

Rows 1 in both tables are Header Rows.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 9, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Yellowbox

Well I didn't have the LEN in there, but basically I did the rest the same. Set it up so that it turned all the "0" values to "" ( I am assuming this mean it changes the value to nothing) but the output of still recognised those entries as either 0 or some kind of null and I still don't get the answer.

=MIN(Low Temps::B2:B8,IF(Low Temps::B2:B8=0,"100",Low Temps::B2:B8)) Is the equation I used. There were a few other tricks I tried, but none of them worked and I don't remember what they were. I don't if it matters but they cells that I am querying are equations themselves and the answers they spit out are "0" I apologize if I am being stupid about this, like I said I am pretty new to all this. Thank you all for the help and patients!

Jul 9, 2014 6:31 PM in response to Gidian9

From Formula & Functions Help (in your Help menu):

The SMALL function returns the nth-smallest value within a set of numeric values. The smallest value is ranked number 1.

SMALL(value-set, ranking)

Notes

A ranking of 1 retrieves the smallest number in the collection, 2 the second-smallest, and so on. Values included in the collection that are of the same size are ranked together, but impact the outcome.

The ranking here is provided by COUNTIF(B,0)+1. This counts the number of zeros in the value-set and adds 1, the result being the ranking of the smallest number that is not a 0).

SG

How do I get min function in Numbers to ignore 0's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.