Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

difficulty launching ichat with recent macbook air upgrade

I recently (yesterday) upgraded my mac book air to OS X v 10.9.3. I logged on this morning and was able to use iChat successfully. After about 2 hours, the application was unresponsive. I had to force quit and attempted to reopen it several times, always finding it unresponsive, requiring a force quit. After several failed attempts I shut down the machine and rebooted...again unresponsive. I did this at least 6 times to no avail. I've tried this from a number of sources (dock, finder/apps, launch, etc...) all with the same results.Any suggestions? The closest I've gotten is the spinning beach ball but the application never opens.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 1:35 PM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2014 12:13 PM in response to puzzleror

Hi,

At Mountain Lion the app became Messages.

The app is Messages 8 in Mavericks with several behind the scenes updates when the OS is/was Updated.

Previously iChat and Messages 7 had the version number changed when an update took place.

This has not happened in Messages 8 which had the iMessages block feature added at OS X 10.9.2 and some minor tweaks at OS X 10.9.3

Each version of iChat and Messages is essentially linked to one OS X version.

This continues down to the sub versions numbers (i.e. you have to be at OS X 10.8.2 to get Messages 7.0.1 which then lasts across the subsequent OS X updates for Mountain Lion)

Therefore iChat should not work in a OS X version that should be using Messages.

If you are in fact trying to Open Messages are there any Error messages at all ?

User uploaded file

8:13 pm Tuesday; July 1, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

difficulty launching ichat with recent macbook air upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.